E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > iPad vs. Android for car specific use

11-11-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Coupe

iPad vs. Android for car specific use

I'm thinking of getting a 7" tablet mainly for use in the car. I plan to:
run a car specific interface
Use it for navigation
Use it as source and or control over music via Audison Bit Play
Use an ODB-II interface
Radar detector integration
Autocross/track app.

I've always been an apple guy, but am thinking of getting an android, because of tighter integration with google (maps, contracts etc), and better supported by the Bit Play. I tend to prefer googles voice recognition to Siri. Typically, I might use an address in my google calendar to launch Google Maps when driving to a meeting, ideally by voice (or when parked, before leaving). Aside from that, I don't have much experience with Droid. Which do you guys think would be best suited for car use?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #2
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Android L (next Android release due anytime from now) has some nice "carplay" features integrated. Read the beta walkthrough for an idea. I do not know about the apps.

Another nice thing is that you can use BT OBD interfaces with Android while it is problematic with ipads (you need a wireless OBD dongle).

As for the Audison, it looks like overkill to me. A nice bluetooth 4 dongle with Apt-X has excellent sound quality already. But if you have the money and like the idea, it sure looks nice.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Android L (next Android release due anytime from now) has some nice "carplay" features integrated. Read the beta walkthrough for an idea. I do not know about the apps.

Another nice thing is that you can use BT OBD interfaces with Android while it is problematic with ipads (you need a wireless OBD dongle).

As for the Audison, it looks like overkill to me. A nice bluetooth 4 dongle with Apt-X has excellent sound quality already. But if you have the money and like the idea, it sure looks nice.
Thanks for the heads up on Driod features. The Bit Play just has too many attractive features to me. I love the idea of the unit being stealth (no aftemarket head), and having music on an internal drive. You may not know that the M Coupe has a stereo that is even by BMW standards, laughably bad. Unlistenable. So total rip/replace is really the only option. The Audison pieces are more pricy, but you can build a system from just the Play and one of their digital amps. So a lot of items (head unit, crossover, OEM signal converter etc.) are not needed, so you save a bit there.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
JS135
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post

I have a Bluetooth OBD dongle and would like this very much. Whats the app I can use?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 11:25 PM   #5
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

bmwwhat, Torque, ivin, etc.
Appreciate 0