E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Aging reversed

11-30-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

Aging reversed

What a good idea.

Quote:
Scientists find way to reverse aging in mice

Molecular biologist Dr. Ronald DePinho at Harvard Medical School in Boston was able to pull off the feat by playing with "telomeres" -- the protective DNA caps on the ends of our chromosomes.

Scientists have long known that a little bit of our telomeres erodes each time our cells divide. Previous research has shown that people with longer telomeres tend to live longer, whereas those with shorter telomeres suffer more from age-related diseases, such as Alzheimer's.

...So he took a group of engineered mice and added back the telomerase gene, but left it inactive. His team then allowed the mice to age for six months, until they were the equivalent of 80-year-old humans. They then gave the mice a drug that "switched on" the telomerase gene.

One month later, not only did the new production of telomerase stop the aging process in the mice, it appeared to actually undo the premature aging so that the mice became the physiological equivalent of young adults.

"We expected to see a slowing or a stabilization of aging. Instead, what we found was a dramatic reversal in aging," he told CTV.
"The shrunken brains increased, new neurons were formed, the coat hair was restored to a new sheen."
When are they to do the experiments on normal mice to extend their lives?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

I've seen I Am Legend, keep that shit away from me
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
I've seen I Am Legend, keep that shit away from me
Wasn't I am legend about a cure for Cancer?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

^^+1

Does sound like a nice zombie movie plot though
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 08:34 AM   #5
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Either way... that mouse now has a taste for flesh... nomnomnom
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #6
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

A zombie mouse movie? Ooooooo scary

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Very cool but I am waiting for them to perfect the gene manipulation to insrtuct your body to grow in height and muscle mass to a point where they can make you almost 10ft tall and even change the color of your skin and thickness of it to better protect you from the sun. that along with their ability to engineer your IGF-1 levels and HGH level to a point where you can become massive and strong, will provide a way to become a true HULK.

I saw this on a Discover channel special. They are actually working on this and have done this to mice and rats where they have found a way to make muscle fibers split and grow instead of just enlarge like anabolic steroids cause. These rats looked like tiny HULKS.

This is going to be the thing I sign up for I want to be 10ft tall and a 1000lbs of solid ripped muscle that can lift cars and smash walls down.lol Although I think I would need this aging reversal first since they projected that this ability is around a 100 years away and will be limited to degenerative disease treatments first, but I am sure the Military will get it first and have some real super soldiers.