E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Nucular Fusion- Is going to change the world

12-29-2022, 03:43 PM   #1
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Nucular Fusion- Is going to change the world

The recent breakthrough in nuclear fusion is going to change the world ....and possibly save it.

when we can get as much energy out of a 8oz glass of sea water as a barrel of oil we are on our way to a much better world.

A lot of the handwringing about the energy grid and infrastructure issues about going full electric will most likely be solved by this.

Obviously it isn't going to happen over night, but that 2035 benchmark will be much more attainable

Luckily we will be one of the last generations to enjoy some of the greatest ICE vehicles ever, but I'm not sure my grandkids will....

btw, I'm actually thinking of selling my F32 and picking up a Model S considering how the used market has dropped on them lately.

Won't be ditching my 718 or Rubicon anytime soon though

Neil deGrasse Tyson says this is akin as going from the horse and buggy to the age of the automobile in terms of the leap we just made in technology

Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      12-29-2022, 04:00 PM   #2
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

I'll get enthusiastic after several independent big brains are allowed in and can replicate the same result.
Show me.
      12-29-2022, 04:26 PM   #3
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

The pessimist in me says there is no way they will ever let an over-abundance of cheap energy exist. It will likely be arbitrarily rationed and controlled in order to keep demand, and control, high. On the flip side, humanity wouldn't know what to do with it, anyway, and likely just find a faster way to self-destruction.
Appreciate 5
Cos270608.50
ntg442888.50
rr006rbc1204.00
      12-29-2022, 04:43 PM   #4
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
The recent breakthrough in nuclear fusion is going to change the world ....and possibly save it.
The problem is the recent "breakthrough" was only considering the laser beam energy, not the energy to power the laser, the facility, etc. It took massively more energy to cause fusion than we got out of it. This is progress, but only a breakthrough in that the reaction produced more than the energy that went into it, but it's massively far away from being able to have Qoutput exceed Qbeam/plasma. This is more of a necessary step, but far from the breakthrough that is needed.

They should be using Qtotal, not Qbeam or Qplasma, comparing to Qoutput.

When you see how much energy it takes to create what was made, then you realize why we are so far away from making it a reality or practical source of "fuel". To give you an idea, the laser is less than 1% efficient. Tritium is also a big problem, if the reaction uses it, we have a very finite supply. The NIF is a weapons testing facility that can and has been used to test "fusion", but they can't test any practical application. Other reactors are attempting to, but they run into the very real issue that Qtotal is just a fraction of what is produced.

There are new and emerging technologies that are attempting to get closer to an actual break-even situation, but these are a very long way from any practical application.

This concept of Qtotal is explained more in the video below:

She's a little more positive here, but touches on the Qtotal issue again:

It's hypothesized that some people are happy to keep the public and media ignorant of the difference between Qtotal and Qbeam/plasma, but it also pisses people off, when they then ask, "well what happened, I thought we were right around the corner!?".

Last edited by RM7; 12-29-2022 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
chris7197334.00
      12-29-2022, 04:47 PM   #5
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
I'll get enthusiastic after several independent big brains are allowed in and can replicate the same result.
Show me.
Nuclear fusion has been achieved for many years. The big deal here is getting more energy out of the reaction than goes into the reaction, but this is just a very small step, because it's not really meaningful to get 2watts of fusion energy from 1 watt of laser energy if it takes 1000 watts to power the laser. THAT is the problem.

Last edited by RM7; 12-29-2022 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
Humdizzle6070.50
      12-29-2022, 05:48 PM   #6
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:

when we can get as much energy out of a 8oz glass of sea water as a barrel of oil we are on our way to a much better world.

A lot of the handwringing about the energy grid and infrastructure issues about going full electric will most likely be solved by this.

Obviously it isn't going to happen over night, but that 2035 benchmark will be much more attainable

Luckily we will be one of the last generations to enjoy some of the greatest ICE vehicles ever, but I'm not sure my grandkids will....

btw, I'm actually thinking of selling my F32 and picking up a Model S considering how the used market has dropped on them lately.

Won't be ditching my 718 or Rubicon anytime soon though

Neil deGrasse Tyson says this is akin as going from the horse and buggy to the age of the automobile in terms of the leap we just made in technology

Interesting, but common sense and life experience tell me to not hold my breath that this will be a game changer in my lifetime.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 06:16 PM   #7
TimmyM56
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 SSII/SO 6SPD

Nuclear fusion is one of the most important steps for the future of nuclear power, so a couple of weeks ago it was a breakthrough. The amount of energy that was put in for what came out wasn't feasible in the real world, but to prove it can be done is incredible. People have talked about nuclear fusion plants being up and running by 2032, not realistic from what I have read. But I can see a future by 2050's that it might become commonplace.
      12-29-2022, 06:16 PM   #8
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Not in my lifetime. Now maybe in 150-200 years sure. Thinking this great but how do you contain it and so forth.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2022, 06:40 PM   #9
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Wake me up when it's ready
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2022, 07:14 PM   #10
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
The problem is the recent "breakthrough" was only considering the laser beam energy, not the energy to power the laser, the facility, etc. It took massively more energy to cause fusion than we got out of it. This is progress, but only a breakthrough in that the reaction produced more than the energy that went into it, but it's massively far away from being able to have Qoutput exceed Qbeam/plasma. This is more of a necessary step, but far from the breakthrough that is needed.

They should be using Qtotal, not Qbeam or Qplasma, comparing to Qoutput.

When you see how much energy it takes to create what was made, then you realize why we are so far away from making it a reality or practical source of "fuel". To give you an idea, the laser is less than 1% efficient. Tritium is also a big problem, if the reaction uses it, we have a very finite supply. The NIF is a weapons testing facility that can and has been used to test "fusion", but they can't test any practical application. Other reactors are attempting to, but they run into the very real issue that Qtotal is just a fraction of what is produced.

There are new and emerging technologies that are attempting to get closer to an actual break-even situation, but these are a very long way from any practical application.

This concept of Qtotal is explained more in the video below:

She's a little more positive here, but touches on the Qtotal issue again:

It's hypothesized that some people are happy to keep the public and media ignorant of the difference between Qtotal and Qbeam/plasma, but it also pisses people off, when they then ask, "well what happened, I thought we were right around the corner!?".
wasn't that what the breakthrough was ail about though? that they finally achieved --making more energy than it took to make the energy

and once you've perfected that the uses are limitless...self sustaining clean energy would be one of mankind's greatest achievements

Sounds like you know much more about this than I do, but when some of the smartest people in the world are this excited about something so revolutionary it's hard not to be excited about the possibilities something like this will bring....
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 07:31 PM   #11
INTMD8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91 manual

Quote:

I thought they had this figured out a long time ago

12-29-2022, 07:47 PM   #12
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTMD8 View Post
I thought they had this figured out a long time ago

was that Val Kilmer? who was the blonde?

looks like I'm gonna have to watch The Saint...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 07:51 PM   #13
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Aren't these the same scientist that are developing our next generation EV and power grid storage batteries?
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2022, 07:54 PM   #14
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Everything was not possible until it's possible.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 08:10 PM   #15
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
wasn't that what the breakthrough was ail about though? that they finally achieved --making more energy than it took to make the energy

and once you've perfected that the uses are limitless...self sustaining clean energy would be one of mankind's greatest achievements

Sounds like you know much more about this than I do, but when some of the smartest people in the world are this excited about something so revolutionary it's hard not to be excited about the possibilities something like this will bring....
No, your output has to exceed Qtotal-energy-in. Qlaser-energy-in is what they are comparing to, but that's meaningless, because it takes exponentially more to power the laser beam. Please watch the first video I posted, it explains this in detail. In that video, they are referring to Qbeam as Qplasma, since the reactors she is talking about are magnetic confinement, but the concept is exactly the same. The total energy to power the laser beam is magnitudes bigger than the beam energy.
      12-29-2022, 08:12 PM   #16
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
Aren't these the same scientist that are developing our next generation EV and power grid storage batteries?
What does that even mean?

You are asking of the physicists and nuclear engineers on this project are also developing batteries?

If you are going to say "same", then please state the names of who you are talking about.
      12-29-2022, 08:20 PM   #17
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
What does that even mean?

You are asking of the physicists and nuclear engineers on this project are also developing batteries?

If you are going to say "same", then please state the names of who you are talking about.
Scientist have invented new battery tech better than the prevailing process

Scientist have invented a Fusion process that works better than the prevailing process

Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the timelines of scientific discoveries reaching market readiness?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 08:35 PM   #18
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
No, your output has to exceed Qtotal-energy-in. Qlaser-energy-in is what they are comparing to, but that's meaningless, because it takes exponentially more to power the laser beam. Please watch the first video I posted, it explains this in detail. In that video, they are referring to Qbeam as Qplasma, since the reactors she is talking about are magnetic confinement, but the concept is exactly the same. The total energy to power the laser beam is magnitudes bigger than the beam energy.
yes, but the first video was over a year old and before the latest breakthrough

You would think the scientist would be smart enough to compute all the energy it took to produce the fusion not just the laser energy

not saying this lady is off, but other smart people on YouTube seem pretty excited about this breakthrough....like Neil said, once the physics have been achieved the engineers can now figure out how to harness it.

Most people would agree NGT is a pretty smart dude and he said this was a pivot point for mankind

Last edited by SoCal_NSX; 12-30-2022 at 12:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 08:38 PM   #19
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
I don't know, I just can't see ICE vehicles going away. Fossil fuel burning isn't the problem, it's doing so much of it that the earth can't handle it. Same with drinking a soda or eating a twinkie, it's ok as long as it's not all you drink and eat. With just the major producers of carbon out of the game or off the road I think it'll be fine to have an ICE car. Of course, like cigarettes they'll be taxed to death, but you gotta' pay to play.
Appreciate 1
chad86tsi1605.00
      12-29-2022, 08:44 PM   #20
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
I don't know, I just can't see ICE vehicles going away. Fossil fuel burning isn't the problem, it's doing so much of it that the earth can't handle it. Same with drinking a soda or eating a twinkie, it's ok as long as it's not all you drink and eat. With just the major producers of carbon out of the game or off the road I think it'll be fine to have an ICE car. Of course, like cigarettes they'll be taxed to death, but you gotta' pay to play.
Synthetically produced organic fuels can keep ICE's viable forever. We already have that for the diesel combustion process. We also have Ethanol for conventional 2 and 4 cycle process, and that was actually the fuel Henry ford wanted to use. It's all carbon neutral and easy to make, why don't we ever hear about switching to that?
Appreciate 2
///MPhatic13862.50
      12-29-2022, 09:11 PM   #21
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post

yes, ICE vehicles will be around for the rest of our lives, but I can see the day where they become maybe 5-10% of all new vehicles produced by 2040

btw, I test drove a Mach-E GT today....Ho-lee shiiiit

I was amazed how fuggin fast that thing was....never should have test drove it, cuz now I want one
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 12:20 AM   #22
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
Scientist have invented new battery tech better than the prevailing process

Scientist have invented a Fusion process that works better than the prevailing process

Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the timelines of scientific discoveries reaching market readiness?
What are you even talking about? If you want the right information, watch the vid I posted.