E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > How is your EV hanging during this winter blizzard ???

12-27-2022, 10:03 AM   #45
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Name the one car manufacturer worth more than every other car manufacturer combined.
Uh... whoever you think it is, isn't even half of Volkswagen Auto Group or Toyota.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2022, 12:33 PM   #46
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoose View Post
This (silly) thread is about (bashing) the (stupid) decision of owning an EV. I posit that most EV owners have secondary means of getting their bare necessities; ICE vehicles, public transportation, neighbours, stocked up supplies, walking distance, etc. I posit this winter blizzard was a much bigger deal to ICE owners than to EV owners. But carry on. Keep on bashing.
BlastPoint found in a three-part examination that people ready to buy an EV have an average annual income of $150,000. The median household income in the US in 2018 was $63,179, according to the U.S. Census.

“Ready-to-Buys are typically professionals working in white-collar careers. They’ve attained college-level or, often, advanced degrees. This means they have the income and buying power to make purchases and investments,” according to a post on BlastPoint’s website written by Janeen Ellsworth.

Home ownership is another important predicter of EV adoption. The people most likely to become EV owners already own a detached single family home worth $275,000 that has a garage or driveway, according to BlastPoint. The rate of home ownership in the US is about 67%, according to census data.

Other findings in the report are that prospective EV owners have a daily work commute of about 27 minutes, and are highly engaged on social media, particularly LinkedIn.

Common careers for EV buyers are IT and nursing, and buyers are also frequent online shoppers, according to BlastPoint.

Electric vehicles remain more expensive than their gas-powered counterparts. According to Quartz, the average cost of a new car in the US was about $36,600 in June 2019. The average cost of an electric vehicle is falling (a $64,300 to $55,600 drop from 2018 to 2019, according to Cox Automotive), but still well above that of gas-powered vehicles.

https://www.tdworld.com/electrificat...poor-americans

EV owners live a different life from the "average". Average citizens own ICE's. Saying they face different realities and have different options to get by during adverse weather events seems kind of obvious to me and Marcoose, but I guess some others don't get that. I also remember being very poor and not having many options or resources, but not everyone has ever faced that reality.
Appreciate 2
      12-27-2022, 12:38 PM   #47
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyM56 View Post
This thread has derailed into nonsense from the first post. Especially arguing if one person's knowledge of science is better than the other person's like it's two different things. There is a thing called "learning", one of a person's best traits is gaining new information and understanding it, even if it challenges what they already knew. But I guess the oldheads kept to their old system of understanding when Magellan proved the Earth was round.

Mocking people with EVs doesn't help your case. If you want to debate that the range of batteries is not enough for most people then fine. I believe our power grid is not up to par yet, and will not be until we put 100% effort into building a nation-sustaining nuclear power, that is the only long-term solution. That is understandable, but not talking about boogeymen like "bureaucrats" or how "government say is good so really is bad"
I agree with your assessment that we aren't ready, but how will you get a nation-sustaining nuclear power grid without facing and managing our current situation with "bureaucrats" and the "Government"?
Appreciate 2
TimmyM56241.50
      12-27-2022, 02:20 PM   #48
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
This was not well written, so it is difficult to understand your point, but I'll take a shot at a response.

I'm the same age as Murf. People of our age learned most everything via peer-reviewed books written by educators. It is expensive to produce a book vs. writing something on the internet that can be rewritten at the whim of a political urge. It's why I tend not to believe most "data" that exists on the internet. I suspect Murf is mostly the same. As a Law Enforcement Officer, Murf has done real shit in his life based on what he has shared with us on E90Post, so like me, an expert has to prove his case to me.

I was educated not to be in fear of the climate, but rather to be amazed by the Earth's science, its geological history, anthropological history, its paleontological history and the astrophysical effect of the solar system has on the earth and all planets. So, when a bureaucrat insists I must "believe the science" about anthropogenic climate change or else I be classified as a "science denier", I get quite defensive. Even worse when that bureaucrat requires me to believe humans can choose what gender they are, then I'm seriously doubting his climate position is based on science and rather it is just purely political.

I like to use scientific logic as my belief system. It's why I ask guys like H20_Doc to tell me what point in the earth's climate history he wants to roll back to and what mechanism based on what algorithm will keep the climate static so we humans can continue to prosper on the planet (when every other species eventually goes [...]
Within the range underwich the agricultural revolution unfolded. Really, it's a GHG concentration target thats correlated to a temperature target that I'm shooting for. We want to stay out of a non-analog world for our species if we can.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      12-27-2022, 06:33 PM   #49
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
This thread has derailed into nonsense from the first post. Especially arguing if one person's knowledge of science is better than the other person's like it's two different things. There is a thing called "learning", one of a person's best traits is gaining new information and understanding it, even if it challenges what they already knew. But I guess the oldheads kept to their old system of understanding when Magellan proved the Earth was round.

Mocking people with EVs doesn't help your case. If you want to debate that the range of batteries is not enough for most people then fine. I believe our power grid is not up to par yet, and will not be until we put 100% effort into building a nation-sustaining nuclear power, that is the only long-term solution. That is understandable, but not talking about boogeymen like "bureaucrats" or how "government say is good so really is bad"
The whole section is just full of mouthbreathers like OP who are pushing their views with bot-like efficiency. It's sad.
Appreciate 1
TimmyM56241.50
      12-27-2022, 09:44 PM   #50
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
The whole section is just full of mouthbreathers like OP who are pushing their views with bot-like efficiency. It's sad.
I guess the premise is valid, though.
If it were up to regulations and regulators, fossil fuels would be banned by now. The push for EV has been too strong and if this year is a predictor of, say, 2030, when some places want to have 100% EV, it won’t be pretty. The message is this: imagine if we were already there at 100% law… no charging by mandate in some places (Switzerland), no power for several days due to storms. What would people do?
Appreciate 2
chad86tsi1605.00
      12-27-2022, 10:02 PM   #51
TimmyM56
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 SSII/SO 6SPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
I agree with your assessment that we aren't ready, but how will you get a nation-sustaining nuclear power grid without facing and managing our current situation with "bureaucrats" and the "Government"?
Fair response and I think that's something that we need them for to think long-term. While there is a high upfront cost, the zero practical emissions and safety are worth it. That's where you would need the government I believe to allow the construction of nuclear power with incentives. Look, I know computers, not nuclear power so I'll just listen to the experts on it haha.
      12-28-2022, 07:56 AM   #52
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Fair response and I think that's something that we need them for to think long-term. While there is a high upfront cost, the zero practical emissions and safety are worth it. That's where you would need the government I believe to allow the construction of nuclear power with incentives. Look, I know computers, not nuclear power so I'll just listen to the experts on it haha.
If you really want to understand the problem with a nuclear-powered future just read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca_...ste_repository
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
TimmyM56241.50
      12-28-2022, 02:07 PM   #53
TimmyM56
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 SSII/SO 6SPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If you really want to understand the problem with a nuclear-powered future just read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca_...ste_repository
I will read up on it, thank you for the link.
      12-28-2022, 04:55 PM   #54
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
I will read up on it, thank you for the link.
Remember, there's exponentially more nuclear waste than nuclear fuel. The two terms are often used interchangeably, but everything from coolant to pipes to fasteners in the primary loop and just the containers that these are put in are all waste and nuclear reactions accelerate corrosion in this loop, not to mention that corrosion failures are unacceptable and parts are replaced at service intervals, so you have a significant amount of waste above just spent fuel rods. Luckily the half life on some is a lot less than the thousands of years of fuel rods, but even still, it's contaminated and has to be contained.

Not unmanageable, pointed out that even by pounds, nuclear waste is a lot less than the C02 that a coal plant puts into the atmosphere for the same MW, but the point is everything is nuanced, all these parts and pieces don't make themselves and have to be produced and eventually disposed of. Significant regulation in the construction and production of them and the reactor design. The training, the upkeep, etc. It's no joke for any kind of power plant, but this is obviously way beyond and takes an immense amount of resources to run and keep running. That's just what it is. In some places where there aren't natural resources nearby that are easy to tap into, it will obviously make sense. Also from a diversification point of view. But again, nuanced. The further I investigate into this and fusion, the further I see these challenges and issues. It's not that they are impossible to ever overcome, it's just that it's not some giant conspiracy, it's a question of where you want to put your efforts and resources for a decent amount of return. It's not a "free endless energy" solution. All of the fission technologies that show promise (not fusion, fission) have significant engineering and operation challenges as well.
Cos270608.50
      12-28-2022, 05:00 PM   #55
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Appreciate 1
      12-28-2022, 05:39 PM   #56
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
If it were up to regulations and regulators, fossil fuels would be banned by now. The push for EV has been too strong and if this year is a predictor of, say, 2030, when some places want to have 100% EV, it won’t be pretty. The message is this: imagine if we were already there at 100% law… no charging by mandate in some places (Switzerland), no power for several days due to storms. What would people do?
I'm not sure I agree the premise is valid. I also don't agree that regulators would have banned fossil fuels already.

If there is a really bad storm, you just don't drive? That's what most people do. Prepare and buy supplies before the storm, and then don't drive in a blizzard that's getting fire trucks stuck. Generators will still work, same with battery storage.

There would certainly be fewer people dying from CO exhaust poisoning as happens in every major winter storm.

Last edited by chris719; 12-28-2022 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 06:18 PM   #57
________
________
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree the premise is valid. I also don't agree that regulators would have banned fossil fuels already.

If there is a really bad storm, you just don't drive? That's what most people do. Prepare and buy supplies before the storm, and then don't drive in a blizzard that's getting fire trucks stuck. Generators will still work, same with battery storage.

There would certainly be fewer people dying from CO exhaust poisoning as happens in every major winter storm.
“There was some freezing rain 2 days ago, and we haven’t had power and our car can’t drive. Just stay home”

Hope you and your family don’t need hospitals when what you’re defending goes through.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 06:22 PM   #58
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

When we had our EV, we saw ~30% reduction in range. Was kind of annoying, but we never drove over 200 miles a day in it anyways.

Funny enough though, Duke Power started doing rolling blackouts that lasted 30-60 minutes here on Christmas Eve… Their grid couldn’t keep up with the increased load from people battling the single digit temps we were seeing. Not sure how it’s supposed to keep up with all the EVs charging if it can’t handle people running their heat.
Appreciate 3
chad86tsi1605.00
jmack548.50
wdb4732.00
      12-28-2022, 06:59 PM   #59
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
When we had our EV, we saw ~30% reduction in range. Was kind of annoying, but we never drove over 200 miles a day in it anyways.

Funny enough though, Duke Power started doing rolling blackouts that lasted 30-60 minutes here on Christmas Eve… Their grid couldn’t keep up with the increased load from people battling the single digit temps we were seeing. Not sure how it’s supposed to keep up with all the EVs charging if it can’t handle people running their heat.
You already know the MO, read above:

“Don’t like the price of gas? Get an electric!”
“Can’t charge your electric? Don’t drive! It’s safer anyway!”

Unwinnable. I’m out. Let’s let the future show what’s up.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 07:13 PM   #60
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
“There was some freezing rain 2 days ago, and we haven’t had power and our car can’t drive. Just stay home”

Hope you and your family don’t need hospitals when what you’re defending goes through.
I'm not defending anything. I'm just saying your argument doesn't hold up. Why would your car not have power? Why would there be no ambulances? If the roads are impassible, they are impassible anyway.

Try going to get gas in Buffalo. Or after Sandy in NJ. There are going to be issues after exceptionally strong weather events.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 07:28 PM   #61
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Just common sense here, does this make you one of the mouth-breathers?
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      12-28-2022, 07:56 PM   #62
________
________
Rep

Quote:
I'm not defending anything. I'm just saying your argument doesn't hold up. Why would your car not have power? Why would there be no ambulances? If the roads are impassible, they are impassible anyway.

Try going to get gas in Buffalo. Or after Sandy in NJ. There are going to be issues after exceptionally strong weather events.
You’re the only one bringing up roads being impassable. What’s being discussed is lack of power to charge vehicles.

Doctors and nurses don’t ride ambulances to go to work. Not everybody gets to the hospital by ambulance when emergency care is needed.

These aren’t “exceptionally strong weather events”. We’re discussing winter here pretty much, every time there’s freezing rain power goes down as lines break.

I’m sorry, are you even thinking before typing?
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2022, 08:06 PM   #63
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Just common sense here, does this make you one of the mouth-breathers?
I am. Because I am not at Starbucks sipping latte thinking about the instalments of my student loans for the social studies degree I graduated from last fall
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2022, 08:28 PM   #64
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You’re the only one bringing up roads being impassable. What’s being discussed is lack of power to charge vehicles.

Doctors and nurses don’t ride ambulances to go to work. Not everybody gets to the hospital by ambulance when emergency care is needed.

These aren’t “exceptionally strong weather events”. We’re discussing winter here pretty much, every time there’s freezing rain power goes down as lines break.

I’m sorry, are you even thinking before typing?
They break and get restored within hours if it's not a crazy event. Vehicles are charged in advance of storms, and fleets will still have diesels. Generators still exist. Are you really this dumb?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 08:45 PM   #65
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
They break and get restored within hours if it's not a crazy event. Vehicles are charged in advance of storms, and fleets will still have diesels. Generators still exist. Are you really this dumb?
Except that if governments are going to mandate the switch to EV's they need to lead by example.

https://www.firerescue1.com/apparatu...g4cV2sGSIDDQe/

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 08:48 PM   #66
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Except that if governments are going to mandate the switch to EV's they need to lead by example.
I don't think so. The emissions of emergency vehicles are a tiny fraction. However, if they think can do it, then sure.
Appreciate 0