E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Tips for Minor Modifications

09-01-2014, 12:37 AM   #1
711wildcat
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Tips for Minor Modifications

Hi everyone - this is a great forum here with lots of good information. I have a 2011 335d that just surpassed the three year time line. Just under 50K miles. I drive the car regularly and about every two weeks, I drive from Tucson to Scottsdale. Thus far it's been a fantastic car.

A couple of quick questions on some potential modifications: A) When it comes to installing a "chip" for the engine, is it recommended or not? If it is recommended, what chip has provided the most reliable performance? B) The cornering of the 335d is a little mushy to my liking and if I'm in a curve while hitting a bump, the front seems to sway - so I'd like to stiffen the suspension up. Any recommendations on strut or shock enhancements would be appreciated. Not that I'll be putting the car on the track, just want it tighter.

Thanks,

CG
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 06:54 AM   #2
bvanlieu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335d

Search is your friend. Simple upgrade is JBD box which increases fuel pressure. Some other products out there, after that you are looking at ECU modifications before you start getting more involved mechanically (which goes against minor, IMHO )

For suspension if you have a non Sport setup it is softer: lots of threads on the general suspension forum (its not D specific in that regards if you are going aftermarket: the stock Sport setup may have slightly different rates to account for weight bias but that should also be searchable to find out)

While tempted to slap in a JBD, I am still under warranty and honestly the sucker moves as it is and I am not that tempted to get more given no locking rear diff

- b
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 07:23 AM   #3
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Simple changes that helped my base model were Bilstein B6 and JBD.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan View Post
Simple changes that helped my base model were Bilstein B6 and JBD.
I second this. I have the Bilstien B12 kit shocks installed, and put back in the stock springs. The car doesn't float at high speeds, and can corner still pretty well. It's "recommended" to change shocks at 50k anyway, if you need justification, lol.
      09-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

I dont like the jbd he doesnt use the proper mating connector so the connection isnt secure and you can have issues. I was actually pretty shocked to find this out. Total half assed design.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #6
711wildcat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_planet View Post
I dont like the jbd he doesnt use the proper mating connector so the connection isnt secure and you can have issues. I was actually pretty shocked to find this out. Total half assed design.
Looks like they may have addressed this issue...from the JBD website:

"Older JBDs require you to remove the white insert from the factory connector, while newer JBD versions do not. If you are unable to plug the JBD in to the original connector then you likely have an older model and need to follow the steps below to remove the insert. The female connector has a small white insert that you will need to remove to properly mate with the JBD PnP connector. To do this use a small screwdriver to pry up the small retaining clip in the front and then twist the screwdriver between the base of the white insert and connector on the back to push it upwards. The clip can be reinstalled later by pushing it back on the connector."

Looks to be a reasonable price for the chip - good "bang for the buck"
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #7
711wildcat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post
I second this. I have the Bilstien B12 kit shocks installed, and put back in the stock springs. The car doesn't float at high speeds, and can corner still pretty well. It's "recommended" to change shocks at 50k anyway, if you need justification, lol.
Thanks Wrecker. I saw some kits with Bilstein B12 and Eibach springs. Seems like a decent price; just over $800. Any idea on what shops should charge on labor (flat rate units)?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

I strongly suggest you go Bench Flashing you wont go LIMP mode on you JB will!! although great for the money

I have a set of Koni FSDs on my non sport car and it drives like a Cadillac and you can go with sport springs on them also
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #9
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_planet View Post
I had to remove the white insert to install the JBD. But I have now taken it off and on several times over the last 30k miles, and I have never used the white insert for the "off" or "on" condition again, so I can say it caused me no problems at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #10
711wildcat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
I strongly suggest you go Bench Flashing you wont go LIMP mode on you JB will!! although great for the money

I have a set of Koni FSDs on my non sport car and it drives like a Cadillac and you can go with sport springs on them also
Can you please explain the Bench Flash? I searched that on the internet and came up with some guys in India that reprogram the car module. If it's the same process but done domestically, are there any recommendation on firms to perform such reprogramming domestically?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #11
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

bench flash is when they open your ECU and program it directly, it can be either encrypted or not mines is encrypted and the dealer cannot find it your car will not throw codes ala JB piggyback
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #12
Masstar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

I have a JBD with no problems, car is very fast. I also have eibach springs and koni sport shocks, which handles awesome but I do have to be careful on speed bumps and curbs in parking lots as it is quite a bit lower.
      09-02-2014, 02:38 PM   #13
TorqueAddict
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340i - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 711wildcat View Post
Can you please explain the Bench Flash? I searched that on the internet and came up with some guys in India that reprogram the car module. If it's the same process but done domestically, are there any recommendation on firms to perform such reprogramming domestically?

By Bench Flashing He meant a proper tune than getting a piggyback like JBD. The term 'bench flashing' literally means to take the ECU/DDE of the car out and flash the tune on it. It is necessary to get the DDE out with our cars, as they are tuning protected.

There are a few options to get it flashed/tuned:

www.chiptuning.ca
Ecotune UK
Renntech

I have a Chiptuning.ca tune + Deletes. So far it has been amazing.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #14
711wildcat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueAddict View Post
By Bench Flashing He meant a proper tune than getting a piggyback like JBD. The term 'bench flashing' literally means to take the ECU/DDE of the car out and flash the tune on it. It is necessary to get the DDE out with our cars, as they are tuning protected.

There are a few options to get it flashed/tuned:

www.chiptuning.ca
Ecotune UK
Renntech

I have a Chiptuning.ca tune + Deletes. So far it has been amazing.
Thanks for the resources TorqueAddict!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #15
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 711wildcat View Post
Thanks Wrecker. I saw some kits with Bilstein B12 and Eibach springs. Seems like a decent price; just over $800. Any idea on what shops should charge on labor (flat rate units)?
I would say anything above $600 is a ripoff. I got my M3 control arms and shocks/springs installed for about $560 after tax. Some guys wanted to charge me $1600.

You could DIY it. It's really not too bad of an install. I swapped my springs out myself the second time. Just dedicate an entire day, and buy all the tools the day prior.