E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > Robert Kubica out with injury

02-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #23
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Holy shit. What division did he rally in?

Also what time in the video is the wreak site passed? That kind of injury shouldnt happen in modern motorsport. Theres gonna be hell to pay

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #24
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Looking at the damage to the car, I can't really figure out how his hand was nearly severed.

Seriously... how the hell are they thinking about putting Senna in that seat with Hulkenberg not having a ride?????

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold

Last edited by KingOfJericho; 02-07-2011 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #25
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
The 26-year-old's Super 2000 Skoda Fabia left the road and collided with a church on the first special stage of the rally, with reports suggesting his injuries were caused by a crash barrier penetrating the driver's footwell. His co-driver, Jakub Gerber, was unhurt.
kinda sounds like it was just bad luck his hand got injured like that
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #26
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
his hands injury could have happened if the car rolled and his hand got caught onto something outside. doesn't seem like it rolled though
      02-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #27
Itgb
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91

Wow, I'm really surprised Renault let him drive in this rally after they denied him earlier this winter to race in the Monte Carlo Rally??

I wish him a speedy recovery, but someone is going to be gifted a very fast F1 car for the 2011 season. It should really go to Hulkenberg or Heidfeld. There is no way Senna or Grosean deserve that car.
      02-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #28
Kurohouou
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

So sad to see kubica out, was the most fun driver to watch the last few years. This year could have been his. Hope he recovers fully and can come back next year.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 04:09 AM   #29
BudVlad
Old Geezer
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 N53B30

Garage List
2008 E92 N53B30  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Looking at the damage to the car, I can't really figure out how his hand was nearly severed.
His right hand and leg was injured because the guard rail penetrated the car:
Attached Images

02-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #30
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Holy crap! That would do it
      02-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #31
matrix76
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i Black/Red

F1 luminaries blast Renault for letting Kubica rally

Wed, 09 Feb 08:30:53 2011

A clutch of motor racing stars have lambasted Lotus Renault GP for permitting Robert Kubica to indulge his second love of rallying so close to the beginning of the F1 2011 World Championship campaign, variously describing the decision as ‘crazy’ and ‘unwise’ and stressing that as ‘the key to success’ in the sport, teams should ‘look after’ their drivers rather than put them at risk.

Kubica is currently undergoing surgery in hospital in Italy to try to repair fractures in his arm and leg and a badly-injured hand, following his accident less than five kilometres into the Ronde di Andora Rally close to Genoa on Sunday morning. The Pole’s injuries are only so severe due to a piece of Armco barrier penetrating the Skoda Fabia RS he was piloting with co-driver Jakub Gerber – who emerged unscathed – and going right the way through the car.

The 26-year-old remains sedated to cope with the pain and is likely to stay in intensive care for several days to come, having improved from an initially ‘critical’ condition after reportedly losing five pints of blood following the accident, which has destroyed his 2011 season – what had looked set to be the finest of his F1 career to-date – and is threatening to potentially destroy his entire future in the top flight.

Lotus Renault GP managing director Eric Boullier has defended the decision to let Kubica compete in extra-curricular pre-season activities ‘because rallying is in his heart’, reasoning that ‘rally driving is vital for Robert’ [see separate story – click here] and telling French sports newspaper L’Equipe that ‘he could also have been run over by a bus going to get his bread’.

Gerber, meanwhile, has insisted the former Canadian Grand Prix-winner was blameless in the crash [see separate story – click here] and instead pointed the finger at the rally’s roads and the car’s front-impact safety standards – but many believe that it was madness to allow Kubica to compete in the first place.

“It’s quite a challenge to stop drivers doing the things I believe are unwise leading up to a F1 season,” triple F1 World Champion and former team owner Sir Jackie Stewart told The Daily Telegraph, “[but] you’ve got to look after that investment.”

“What’s the point in pushing hard for the highest safety standards in F1 if a driver is then seriously hurt in other racing activities?” questioned Kubica’s erstwhile BMW-Sauber team principal Dr. Mario Theissen in an interview with The Associated Press, acknowledging that he had ‘sympathy’ for Kubica’s passion for going rallying but maintaining that he had been right never to allow his driver to so. “The driver is key to success in F1 – only he can turn the tremendous effort of several hundred equally determined people into results.”

BBC F1 commentator Martin Brundle, meanwhile, described Lotus Renault GP’s stance as ‘crazy’, whilst erstwhile IndyCar-turned-NASCAR ace Patrick Carpentier concurred.

“If I was to blame someone, it would be his team, who should never have released him [to rally],” the French-Canadian told Rue Frontenac, “especially so close to the start of the new season and between two test sessions – what bad timing.”

What do you think? Was Lotus Renault GP right or wrong to let Kubica compete on the Ronde di Andora? Have your say in our poll right here

In addition, a Toronto Sun story. It's time for Robert Kubica to retire

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/201.../17203291.html

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #32
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Its a 2-part fault -- Kubica's fault for wanting to take part in the world's most dangerous motorsport ...and the teams fault for allowing it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #33
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Teams showing their support during the Jerez testing...Get well soon!
Attached Images

02-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #34
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
So awesome to see them all do that, the last time they did something like that was after 9/11.
      02-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #35
Kurohouou
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Glad to see the other teams supporting him. He will be missed this season for sure. I hope he can make it back into the sport next season!!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #36
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Hey hey,

Just read that you can send him get well messages here:

fans@lotusrenaultgp.com
      02-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #37
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
All the prayers for him...wishing him a speedy recovery!

Quote:
Robert Kubica's health has reportedly worsened with the Lotus Renault driver needing to stay longer in intensive care.

Broadcaster TVN 24 reported on Monday that Kubica's fiancee Edyta has spoken about the Pole's condition, saying he may need to remain in ICU longer than expected.

"His state has somewhat worsened, both in regards to his physical and psychological state," said Edyta Witas.

Witas added: "His life is not in danger."

Kubica is recovering in the Santa Corona Hospital in Italy following serious injuries sustained when he crashed his Skoda Fabia during the Ronde di Andora rally a week ago.

The 26-year-old has undergone two surgeries, the first to resort function to his partially severed right hand while the second, which took place on Friday, was to rebuild his foot, shoulder and the inner part of his elbow.

He faces a third operation on his upper arm with his doctors saying it could take him a year to recover.

But while his fiancee says the Pole has worsened, both his team and his doctors have released statements insisting he is making good progress.

"Robert Kubica's general conditions are good," the doctors said.

"Kubica will remain in intensive care for two more days in order to undergo a complete check up and to avoid another ward change before the final operation.

"The clinical picture is so satisfying that it allows for programming of the final surgery for Wednesday."

Renault Tweeted: "The latest on Robert is that his condition remains positive. His final surgery is scheduled for Weds."
http://planet-f1.com/driver/3213/675...e-has-worsened
      02-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #38
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Really sad to hear about this, hope he recovers soon. A great talent that needs to be in F1.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #39
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

Glad he's still alive... that barrier could have killed him had it been a few inches closer to him...

I really hope that he is able to return to F1 for the 2012 season... considering the amount of surgery and the extremely high physical demands of the sport I would not be surprised if this was a career ending accident. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Get well soon Kubica...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #40
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
That's great news! Cannot wait for him to return to F1 cockpit...

Quote:
Robert Kubica underwent a third operation on Wednesday, the eight-hour surgery on his right elbow following an nine-hour operation last Friday.

"The operation was a success and it will probably not be necessary for him to undergo further surgery," a spokesman for the Santa Corona Hospital near Genoa said. "The elbow was rebuilt satisfactorily but it is harder to give a prognosis about the recovery of functionality."

Kubica is expected to remain in hospital for another fortnight before he starts his rehabilitation.
http://en.espnf1.com/renault/motorsp...ory/41066.html
      02-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #41
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix76 View Post
Wed, 09 Feb 08:30:53 2011

A clutch of motor racing stars have lambasted Lotus Renault GP for permitting Robert Kubica to indulge his second love of rallying so close to the beginning of the F1 2011 World Championship campaign, variously describing the decision as ‘crazy’ and ‘unwise’ and stressing that as ‘the key to success’ in the sport, teams should ‘look after’ their drivers rather than put them at risk.

Kubica is currently undergoing surgery in hospital in Italy to try to repair fractures in his arm and leg and a badly-injured hand, following his accident less than five kilometres into the Ronde di Andora Rally close to Genoa on Sunday morning. The Pole’s injuries are only so severe due to a piece of Armco barrier penetrating the Skoda Fabia RS he was piloting with co-driver Jakub Gerber – who emerged unscathed – and going right the way through the car.

The 26-year-old remains sedated to cope with the pain and is likely to stay in intensive care for several days to come, having improved from an initially ‘critical’ condition after reportedly losing five pints of blood following the accident, which has destroyed his 2011 season – what had looked set to be the finest of his F1 career to-date – and is threatening to potentially destroy his entire future in the top flight.

Lotus Renault GP managing director Eric Boullier has defended the decision to let Kubica compete in extra-curricular pre-season activities ‘because rallying is in his heart’, reasoning that ‘rally driving is vital for Robert’ [see separate story – click here] and telling French sports newspaper L’Equipe that ‘he could also have been run over by a bus going to get his bread’.

Gerber, meanwhile, has insisted the former Canadian Grand Prix-winner was blameless in the crash [see separate story – click here] and instead pointed the finger at the rally’s roads and the car’s front-impact safety standards – but many believe that it was madness to allow Kubica to compete in the first place.

“It’s quite a challenge to stop drivers doing the things I believe are unwise leading up to a F1 season,” triple F1 World Champion and former team owner Sir Jackie Stewart told The Daily Telegraph, “[but] you’ve got to look after that investment.”

“What’s the point in pushing hard for the highest safety standards in F1 if a driver is then seriously hurt in other racing activities?” questioned Kubica’s erstwhile BMW-Sauber team principal Dr. Mario Theissen in an interview with The Associated Press, acknowledging that he had ‘sympathy’ for Kubica’s passion for going rallying but maintaining that he had been right never to allow his driver to so. “The driver is key to success in F1 – only he can turn the tremendous effort of several hundred equally determined people into results.”

BBC F1 commentator Martin Brundle, meanwhile, described Lotus Renault GP’s stance as ‘crazy’, whilst erstwhile IndyCar-turned-NASCAR ace Patrick Carpentier concurred.

“If I was to blame someone, it would be his team, who should never have released him [to rally],” the French-Canadian told Rue Frontenac, “especially so close to the start of the new season and between two test sessions – what bad timing.”

What do you think? Was Lotus Renault GP right or wrong to let Kubica compete on the Ronde di Andora? Have your say in our poll right here

In addition, a Toronto Sun story. It's time for Robert Kubica to retire

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/201.../17203291.html
To be honest, I just cannot stand those people never say anything then something hits the fan, all of them just waved their hands and "OMG...F1 drivers shouldn't drive anything else than F1....they should stay in a cocoon and protect themselves..." blah blah blah~

They all have hobbies and various interests...let them do what they want...as long as the contract allows and doesn't interfere with F1 schedule...

Many drivers likes to do different sport activities off season or the two weeks break between races....some rallying, some going triathlon, some goes mountain biking, some play soccer (football to be precise).....to keep their body in shape, and mind off F1 for a moment....

Unluckily injury does happen...so be it...they're all grown men, they all know the consequences...if you lose the WDC because of your injury....unlucky...but that's the risk and balance a driver must take....
just like driver balance pace and tire degradation.....

if in the future F1 driver contract prohibits them to do any risky sport activities...i can say all the good drivers will just walk away from it....team might as well hire a robot to do the racing...
      02-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #42
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i space gray vert

Kubica out of intensive care

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...1/2/11756.html
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #43
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i space gray vert

Kubica begins rehabilitation program

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...1/2/11769.html
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #44
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Time for him to retire?? That's nuts. He may or may not return to F1, but if he doesn't go back there it's pretty much guaranteed he'll end up racing somewhere else.
Appreciate 0