E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

06-21-2024, 03:44 PM   #8229
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfCoyote View Post
I looked into it, it looks like Seattle is entertaining the idea because no one wants to work in the dump of a city. Talk about desperation.
It’s a horrible idea IMHO.
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2024, 06:25 PM   #8230
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Richland County SD in South Carolina lost their K9 fur missile Wick early Thursday morning, while tracking a fleeing driver who ran from a stolen car after it was immobilized with stop sticks:

Buug95921303.00
Llarry20270.50
Ingraman155.50
      06-26-2024, 02:57 PM   #8231
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Are you referring to promotional positions or ideological/political/policy positions? If it’s the latter, I totally understand what their public positions are, but behind the scenes we are just a weak state. We pander to every interest group, activist group and succumb to social pressure instead of focusing on taking bad guys to jail and enforcing laws. This state is falling apart due to weak leadership from the top down, and that’s why criminals are running amuck. Being a cop has changed dramatically in four years.
I was thinking in terms of the state's public sector retirement plans being strong incentives to work for career advancement. I don't know if that applies to every plan; there's only one with which I'm generally familiar.
Sedan_Clan26656.50
      07-02-2024, 07:00 PM   #8232
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Tennessee's new law making drag racing on the streets into a felony went into effect on 7/1.....

https://wreg.com/news/local/d-a-s-of...-law-kicks-in/
JeffL0799.50
Buug95921303.00
      07-03-2024, 07:37 AM   #8233
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfCoyote View Post
We are doing a big 180 here in WA state. Went from super restrictive pursuit law and legalizing drugs to being able to chase anything for reasonable suspicion of a crime and drugs are illegal again.

Now if only we could get these spineless judges and DA's on board... Also if jail would take everything again, that would be nice.
Do you think that means WA state as a whole might be changing? I love visiting the state and I would try to find land in a heartbeat in some areas if it weren't for the political direction its taken over the past 10 years or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Tennessee's new law making drag racing on the streets into a felony went into effect on 7/1.....

It's funny, when I was younger this would have upset me, but now that I'm older I think it's great. I still enjoy a good hard press of the long pedal here and there, but it's far and few between and always someplace with no one around. That was fun but one and done.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2024, 11:35 AM   #8234
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
It's funny, when I was younger this would have upset me, but now that I'm older I think it's great. I still enjoy a good hard press of the long pedal here and there, but it's far and few between and always someplace with no one around. That was fun but one and done.
It’s the takeovers and the criminal activity that occurs during a takeover that is driving this revised set of consequences.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619089.00
      07-03-2024, 12:26 PM   #8235
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It’s the takeovers and the criminal activity that occurs during a takeover that is driving this revised set of consequences.
Are they "takeovers" or "sideshows" out there? I just saw a news article about sideshow arrests in CA, and thought that the circus was in town.....
      07-03-2024, 12:31 PM   #8236
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Are they "takeovers" or "sideshows" out there? I just saw a news article about sideshow arrests in CA, and thought that the circus was in town.....
The takeovers generally involve cars; street racer types taking over intersections, doing donuts, etc. (…often armed; shootings regularly occur). The sideshows are vandals; the inciting types trying to produce edgy material that’ll go viral. I know the categorizations have been used interchangeably however.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619089.00
      07-03-2024, 12:35 PM   #8237
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

I wonder how much of that BS would not be a thing, or at least very minimal, if it weren't for Instagram and TikTok?

Gotta get those views...

EDIT: Totally missed you Sedan mentioning material to go viral haha

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan26656.50
vreihen1619089.00
      07-03-2024, 12:40 PM   #8238
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
I wonder how much of that BS would not be a thing, or at least very minimal, if it weren't for Instagram and TikTok?

Gotta get those views...

EDIT: Totally missed you Sedan mentioning material to go viral haha
Haha! All good bro! The internet has been a blessing and a curse. This current generation is increasingly validation seeking as a whole; a hive mind so to speak. There have been a few “Black Mirror” episodes that highlight this phenomenon perfectly.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1619089.00
T0RM3NT4425.00
///d1882.00
      07-03-2024, 02:03 PM   #8239
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:

Quote:
I understand this, I really do, but what's a person to do when cities keep shutting down race tracks in favor of housing developments? Then, cities don't provide places to replace these drag strips. One just a few miles from my house was bulldozed-over in favor of houses. Go figure, street racing is up...
Appreciate 5
vreihen1619089.00
Sedan_Clan26656.50
jmack548.50
Buug95921303.00
afo818276.50
      07-03-2024, 02:09 PM   #8240
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I understand this, I really do, but what's a person to do when cities keep shutting down race tracks in favor of housing developments?
You're preaching to the choir! I dedicated many years of my time in the SCCA trying to find a solution, working with state/county/municipal politicians and everything. In all seriousness, people would rather live next to a crack house than a motorsports facility.....
Buug95921303.00
bucketfoot1182.50
afo818276.50
      07-06-2024, 08:42 PM   #8241
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I understand this, I really do, but what's a person to do when cities keep shutting down race tracks in favor of housing developments? Then, cities don't provide places to replace these drag strips. One just a few miles from my house was bulldozed-over in favor of houses. Go figure, street racing is up...
It is a shame that tracks are being shut down. When I was younger, they shut down Lions Drag Strip. It was really a bummer.

I'm an old guy and I am not in touch at all with the teenage and twenties scene today. But when I was that age, it seems to me that the young people that liked to street race were not the same crowd that would go and register their cars and race legally at the drag strip. The impromptu illegal street races were more of a macho social event to compare dick size and impress the girls. Certainly I am not saying that more drag strips would not cut down street racing, but I'm guessing there is a faction of the population that would street race anyway. Maybe apples to oranges, but a comparison might be bar fights to boxing fights. More boxing gyms are not going to stop bar fights because in many cases the reason for the fight is not sports related. I grant you I'm out of touch and might be way off. Does my logic hold any water?

Last edited by sygazelle; 07-06-2024 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619089.00
      07-06-2024, 09:26 PM   #8242
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Does my logic hold any water?
I think so. In the City back in the day, you either went down to the Great Highway after midnight or you went to Half Moon Bay or Fremont during the hours they were open for legitimate drag racing. Each had totally different drivers and crowds.
sygazelle12402.50
      07-06-2024, 09:42 PM   #8243
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
It is a shame that tracks are being shut down. When I was younger, they shut down Lions Drag Strip. It was really a bummer.

I'm an old guy and I am not in touch at all with the teenage and twenties scene today. But when I was that age, it seems to me that the young people that liked to street race were not the same crowd that would go and register their cars and race legally at the drag strip. The impromptu illegal street races were more of a macho social event to compare dick size and impress the girls. Certainly I am not saying that more drag strips would not cut down street racing, but I'm guessing there is a faction of the population that would street race anyway. Maybe apples to oranges, but a comparison might be bar fights to boxing fights. More boxing gyms are not going to stop bar fights because in many cases the reason for the fight is not sports related. I grant you I'm out of touch and might be way off. Does my logic hold any water?
Having been “that guy” in my mid/late teens to early 20’s, access to the drag strip didn’t, nor would it have, stop[ped] the illegal races. There was an allure to doing something potentially dangerous; something that elicited an excitement the legal avenue was incapable of producing. The Fast & Furious movie producers/writers used to creep on our races in Los Angeles and Ontario to gather intel for the movie. A lot of that movie storyline was taken from what they observed us doing.
Appreciate 5
sygazelle12402.50
Buug95921303.00
vreihen1619089.00
T0RM3NT4425.00
      07-09-2024, 02:43 PM   #8244
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Having been “that guy” in my mid/late teens to early 20’s, access to the drag strip didn’t, nor would it have, stop[ped] the illegal races. There was an allure to doing something potentially dangerous; something that elicited an excitement the legal avenue was incapable of producing. The Fast & Furious movie producers/writers used to creep on our races in Los Angeles and Ontario to gather intel for the movie. A lot of that movie storyline was taken from what they observed us doing.
I can only speak for myself and my area, but we have a track 10 miles out of town and still have kids racing all over the place. The issue with our track is;

A) our big events are only hosted twice a season and are expensive to enter
B) our street legal events are inexpensive, but only once a month and on a weds night
C) both require you to pass NHRA tech rules for your class/trap speeds
D) racing has to be shut down by 8pm because of Karens that bought a house next to a race track...

Maybe it's different elsewhere, but the drift craze has destroyed the car scene here in MN IMO. Most of what I see racing around here is thrown together shit TBH. Clapped out Nissans with knockoff wheels and straight pipe exhaust, Subarus with rocket bunny knockoff kits hanging on by zip ties... These kids don't want to spend money to go to the track unless it involves getting shitfaced and watching drifting, and they sure as hell don't want to spend money on anything to pass tech.

Appreciate 5
vreihen1619089.00
Buug95921303.00
Sedan_Clan26656.50
      07-10-2024, 08:47 AM   #8245
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
When I was young, we had a 4 lane highway that was going to link into another interstate, but lost interest/funding before it was completed. So when someone said "there is a race at 740 tonight" everyone knew what that meant. 4 lane highway that dead ended into a field. There was another 4 lane road that crossed over the top of it and if you knew where to look - there was a painted line on the road exactly 1/4 mile back from it. When you went under the over pass, the race was over. You could even tell from the starting line who's lights went under first.

So you had plenty of parking, no one was in a opposing lane, and it was a road from nowhere (no way to get on that section without doing a dead end u turn) on brand new concrete road. The cops WOULD bust it up, but it was more like a "ok, ok, ok we gave you your 60 minutes......time to move on.." kind of drive by. No one ever got arrested and/or ticketed back then.

I think it was because the cops KNEW we were going to race, there was not a track within hours of us, and this was FAR better than the old drag place that was out of the way in the country, but someone had to be in a opposing lane where another car could be.

Apparently after the F&TF came out, the fart can boys started doing the race past the underpass, turned around and then raced BACK towards the waiting crowds. You know how that one is going to end, so the cops got tough and ended that real fast.

Now there are businesses and apartments there, but it was a perfect spot for 10-15 years.
vreihen1619089.00
      07-10-2024, 09:48 AM   #8246
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
I can only speak for myself and my area, but we have a track 10 miles out of town and still have kids racing all over the place. The issue with our track is;

A) our big events are only hosted twice a season and are expensive to enter
B) our street legal events are inexpensive, but only once a month and on a weds night
C) both require you to pass NHRA tech rules for your class/trap speeds
D) racing has to be shut down by 8pm because of Karens that bought a house next to a race track...

Maybe it's different elsewhere, but the drift craze has destroyed the car scene here in MN IMO. Most of what I see racing around here is thrown together shit TBH. Clapped out Nissans with knockoff wheels and straight pipe exhaust, Subarus with rocket bunny knockoff kits hanging on by zip ties... These kids don't want to spend money to go to the track unless it involves getting shitfaced and watching drifting, and they sure as hell don't want to spend money on anything to pass tech.
I think the drift crowd thinks it’s cool to look tacky. Back in my day, everybody wanted a nice looking car to represent. Nobody wanted to roll up with primered parts and donuts mounted like makeshift slicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
When I was young, we had a 4 lane highway that was going to link into another interstate, but lost interest/funding before it was completed. So when someone said "there is a race at 740 tonight" everyone knew what that meant. 4 lane highway that dead ended into a field. There was another 4 lane road that crossed over the top of it and if you knew where to look - there was a painted line on the road exactly 1/4 mile back from it. When you went under the over pass, the race was over. You could even tell from the starting line who's lights went under first.

So you had plenty of parking, no one was in a opposing lane, and it was a road from nowhere (no way to get on that section without doing a dead end u turn) on brand new concrete road. The cops WOULD bust it up, but it was more like a "ok, ok, ok we gave you your 60 minutes......time to move on.." kind of drive by. No one ever got arrested and/or ticketed back then.

I think it was because the cops KNEW we were going to race, there was not a track within hours of us, and this was FAR better than the old drag place that was out of the way in the country, but someone had to be in a opposing lane where another car could be.

Apparently after the F&TF came out, the fart can boys started doing the race past the underpass, turned around and then raced BACK towards the waiting crowds. You know how that one is going to end, so the cops got tough and ended that real fast.

Now there are businesses and apartments there, but it was a perfect spot for 10-15 years.
That reminds me of how the 210 freeway used to be during construction. It was the perfect racing spot.
Appreciate 2
      07-10-2024, 10:27 AM   #8247
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
LOL - yes. Ours always had a few cars with the hoods up. Car show THEN the race. I do vividly remember a guy who had a Chevelle that was always very fast. Body was nice and straight, but primered. Primer for years because he always put what little money he had into the go-fast parts.

Finally when he got older and had some money, he painted it candy apple maroon and it was worth the wait. Easiest the nicest car in the "loop" where everyone cruised. Beautiful car.

Then less than a month after his paint job, he was out there racing again and right before the finish line we all saw sparks go everywhere. We all drove down and his flex fan had let go on him and was stuck 1/2 way out of his hood. He was the nicest guy on the plant and I felt horrible for him. Waited all those years to get the paint done right then that......

The good old days!
Buug95921303.00
      07-10-2024, 10:37 AM   #8248
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
LOL - yes. Ours always had a few cars with the hoods up. Car show THEN the race. I do vividly remember a guy who had a Chevelle that was always very fast. Body was nice and straight, but primered. Primer for years because he always put what little money he had into the go-fast parts.

Finally when he got older and had some money, he painted it candy apple maroon and it was worth the wait. Easiest the nicest car in the "loop" where everyone cruised. Beautiful car.

Then less than a month after his paint job, he was out there racing again and right before the finish line we all saw sparks go everywhere. We all drove down and his flex fan had let go on him and was stuck 1/2 way out of his hood. He was the nicest guy on the plant and I felt horrible for him. Waited all those years to get the paint done right then that......

The good old days!
The good ol’ days indeed. Probably the funnest time I had during those years of my life; copping CTR/ITR parts for my built DOHCVTEC hatch (…OEM CTR headlights with the built in running light, full OEM ITR interior, ITR throttle body and headers, etc.). Trying to spec the latest Volks or Racing Harts. Doing GSR rear disc brake upgrades. Drooling over my Mugen front lip…..and my Spoon carbon fiber wing and mirrors. Sigh! I sold that car to buy my first BMW, a 2002 BMW 330ci.

A lil’ flashback Wednesday….circa ‘99/‘00.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
unluky7668.00
T0RM3NT4425.00
Buug95921303.00
      07-10-2024, 11:19 AM   #8249
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The good ol’ days indeed. Probably the funnest time I had during those years of my life; copping CTR/ITR parts for my built DOHCVTEC hatch (…OEM CTR headlights with the built in running light, full OEM ITR interior, ITR throttle body and headers, etc.). Trying to spec the latest Volks or Racing Harts. Doing GSR rear disc brake upgrades. Drooling over my Mugen front lip…..and my Spoon carbon fiber wing and mirrors. Sigh! I sold that car to buy my first BMW, a 2002 BMW 330ci.

A lil’ flashback Wednesday….circa ‘99/‘00.

I'll do you one better - I sold my 1969 Dodge Charger FACTORY BIG BLOCK CAR..........for $1,100.

Regret is a shared experience...........LOL
vreihen1619089.00
Buug95921303.00
      07-10-2024, 11:42 AM   #8250
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
I'll do you one better - I sold my 1969 Dodge Charger FACTORY BIG BLOCK CAR..........for $1,100.

Regret is a shared experience...........LOL
Haha! Indeed it is. Freakin’ regret!!!!
Appreciate 0