E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Warned for being a human being

02-15-2008, 06:08 AM   #23
Hobbination
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

You did the right thing flashing though....Big ups to you as a fellow driver. BUT can you get your avatar to do the same¿
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 07:57 AM   #24
bkM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Vert 6MT Carbon/Black

i think the only reason you got pulled over for flashing your lights is that its a "modified" bmw....im pretty sure if you where driving a station wagon or a minivan you would probably not get targeted... i wonder what the ticket would have been though
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 08:23 AM   #25
calvino
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: had e90, 330i mystic blue

Garage List
2006 e90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyG View Post
I had a guy hit his brake lights several times one time on the freeway as I was going a bit fast. Naturally, I slowed down wondering wtf his problem was only to see a CHP vehicle about fifty yards up cruising in the 3rd lane. I was thankful as that would've been likely a ticket for my butt.
we do that all the time when I go out with my car club you tap you brake several times fast and that means that there is a cop ( the fast flashing of the brakes is representing cop lights )
      02-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #26
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Yeah kinda gay. I always flash and I always tap my breaks to alert people behind me.

Theres this one major spot near me where the highway crests and that city always has a cop sitting there. Well one day I am driving along and this guy comes flying down the fast lane easily doing 85+ in a 60. So I get over in front of him since I had no time to signal as I could see the roof of the cop car and he couldn't. Anyways I can see he's flipping me off, yelling, and his g/f is freaking out too. Well he slows down and I get out of the way and he finally sees the cop, they then pull up next to me and are all .

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 08:27 AM   #27
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Which country and decade are you from, the KGB era of the Soviets or the hardline era of the Communists China?

First of all, law enforcement officers will never "apologize" for pulling anyone over.

Second, if they pull you over, they better have a "valid" reason and explanation of which specific law you "broke". Otherwise, all citizens have the right to complain on the officer for abusing their power and authority.

This is Canada, not a "police state". There is no discretion for any police officer to pull over anyone without a valid reason and explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyG View Post
First and foremost, a law enforcement officer will not and in my opinion, should not "apologize" for pulling you over for any reason...it's their discretion and that's why the public puts trust and respect into that system.

As far as being told not to warn other citizens...well, I had a guy hit his brake lights several times one time on the freeway as I was going a bit fast. Naturally, I slowed down wondering wtf his problem was only to see a CHP vehicle about fifty yards up cruising in the 3rd lane. I was thankful as that would've been likely a ticket for my butt.

I agree it's a revenue generating tool, but the law is the law, and trying to make the streets safer by slowing down speeders doesn't seem like a horrible idea.
      02-15-2008, 08:38 AM   #28
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

guess you didn't catch the article in the Toronto Star:

Warning of speed traps perfectly legal

The full article is not available online, but the gist of it is that there's nothing illegal about flashing your headlights to warn fellow motorists of a speed trap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansyes View Post
Okay.. I'll get straight to the point, I've got pulled over for flashing beams to warn of a speed trap. Fortunately, the cop didn't give me any ticket.. but I am still quite upset for the fact we aren't even allowed to help one another anymore. Has anyone had similar experience? I hope I'm not the only one who got picked on for doing something absolutely morally correct...
      02-15-2008, 08:40 AM   #29
canucklion
Canada
Rep

haha, Greg beat me to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
As BMdblU said, it was on the news very recently and in the papers, it's not illegal. If the officer did ticket you, it would be for something not entirely related; alternating headlights (meaning left to right), not flashing highbeams. Given all the media exposure I'm surprised they still have the audacity, at least in the short term, to try to pin this on motorists.

Read this: http://www.wheels.ca/newsFeatures/article/167046
      02-15-2008, 08:46 AM   #30
carrabassett786
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 328i

Its pretty illegal (at least in the northeast) but I usually flash my fogs. less noticable from behind and you can always pull the "i didn't know what this button did" crap when the cop comes to your window.

E90 328i Space Gray/Chestnut ZMP 2MF ZP2 ZV2 ZCV ZCW-washers HK SAT 3rd Pedal ED 2011.10.10
E90 325xi BSM/Terra ZSP ZPP ZCW Adaptive Xenons SAT 3rd pedal
Gone
E53 X5 3.0i Black Sapphire/Truffle ZPP ZCW ZRC Xenon Nav
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 08:57 AM   #31
getInline
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 Coupe, c32 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
guess you didn't catch the article in the Toronto Star:

Warning of speed traps perfectly legal

The full article is not available online, but the gist of it is that there's nothing illegal about flashing your headlights to warn fellow motorists of a speed trap.
Good stuff, I'll keep fighting the good fight! I always flash and tap!

Speed doesn't kill, $hitty driver's kill and yes sometimes they're going fast, those are the ones the news likes.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 09:16 AM   #32
MikeCCrutchfield
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Vert

Garage List
I had a cop flash me once to warn me of a another cop down the road (both were marked cruisers)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 09:26 AM   #33
shahils12
BALLER
Rep
Drives: 2K8 E93, 2K8 E60. N54s

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvino View Post
I don't flash my beams anymore to warn other drivers about a speed strap here in South FL people are stupid and don't get it they just flash you back. WTF...
HAHEHHAEHAHAHAHA
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 09:29 AM   #34
rocco
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 AW ZSP

I always warn drivers...gotta love the schmuck who interprets it some other way and flips you off...

The current speed-limit enforcement scheme in the US is a fraud perpetrated on the public...it does nothing to curb speeding or save lives and accomplishes nothing but the generation of revenue for the state.

As far as I'm concerned there should be no hard speed limits on highways, and speeding tickets should be replaced with "wreckless driving" tickets, where someone is driving dangerously for the conditions surrounding them. Example: if traffic is moving freely at 75 mph, 81 mph would be perfectly acceptable...only someone weeving and exceeding the flow of traffic by more than 15-20 mph would be breaking the law. We have the technology today that would permit such a "soft" speed limit...

...sorry for the rant...I know a message board posting isn't the way to get that accomplished...hmm, maybe I'll run for the house next year...
      02-15-2008, 09:30 AM   #35
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

i used to warn ppl on the street by flashing but most people dont get it... they dont slow down at all.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 09:30 AM   #36
BMW-NC
Selling drugs to BMW addicts
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i e82 6MT N55

FYI: It gives you a garanteed ticket in Germany.... Been there, done that.....
      02-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #37
canucklion
Canada
Rep

I agree. But my guess is if we do that, I guess lawyers will have a field day in their interpretation of 'wrekless driving'; whereas a hard speed limit is harder to argue by them.

But yeah, speed limits are, for the most part, cash grab scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco View Post
, and speeding tickets should be replaced with "wreckless driving" tickets
      02-15-2008, 09:39 AM   #38
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Laws prohibit you from flashing other cars. You should be grateful you didn't get a ticket. It's against the law in some states.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 10:58 AM   #39
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

i usually emphasize the fact that im braking and turn on my hazards for a second to warn drivers behind me. Its cool when my V1 goes off and theres actually a cop ahead.......im a hero. But when theres no cop......uh...hah......i look like an idiot.

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 11:57 AM   #40
MikeCCrutchfield
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco View Post
As far as I'm concerned there should be no hard speed limits on highways, and speeding tickets should be replaced with "wreckless driving" tickets, where someone is driving dangerously for the conditions surrounding them. Example: if traffic is moving freely at 75 mph, 81 mph would be perfectly acceptable...only someone weeving and exceeding the flow of traffic by more than 15-20 mph would be breaking the law. We have the technology today that would permit such a "soft" speed limit...
If you read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_l...No_speed_limit You will see why the "reasonable & prudent" speed limit times in Montana went away. The cop could arbitrarily charge with you with going too fast. American municipalities are too concerned with making $$ of tickets, and since the whiney public won't let them do it with speed cameras, they have to put more cops out there (which thus raises their costs) all to deal with speeders.

In Germany it seems to work because they will nail your ass to the wall if you speed where there is a speed limit, and only unless you are doing something measurable wrong in an unrestricted area, they will leave you alone (eg - tailgating, passing on right, etc..)

Back to topic, in many states, they actually have statutes that say it is illegal to flash your headlights at other drivers IIRC. They can also try and charge you with obstruction of justice (remember reading about a case, don't remember the result).
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 12:22 PM   #41
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

Arrow

Flashing lights is aimed at helping others avoid an encounter with the police.

1. What if the person you flash is not only speeding but also drunk and they run over a child a mile down the road because they knew to slow down due to the help you gave them by flashing them.

2. Some have argued that driving fast is not necessarily unsafe. I agree in some cases. However, how can you tell how capable the other driver is of driving safely at high speeds if you have no clue who they are.

3. On a more selfish note, I don't flash because it reduces the likelihood of me getting a ticket. For example on the way to the store (few minutes from home) , I flash and the the cop is unable to pull over that speeder. On the way back he gets me. If i don't flash he stops the other person and either meets his quota or is tied up with the other driver when i am driving back.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 05:58 AM   #42
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobr2001 View Post
so, do we warn speeders to slow down now so they won't get ticketed or do we not warn speeders, let them be caught for their infraction, pay a fine and think a bit about why they were stopped then maybe, just maybe, from then on drive safely possibly saving a life? morality is such a human thing!
In the United States the accident rates for drivers going UNDER the speed limit is much higher than average. The lowest accident rates belong to those going up to 19 over the posted limit. Of course those going extremely fast are at great risk.

So, given the average speeding ticket, at the end of the day the cops are routinely ticketing the safest drivers. Meanwhile the idiot going 10 under in the left lane is made out to be some kind of saint.

Last edited by 742; 02-16-2008 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: corrected an error in speech
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 06:03 AM   #43
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Crutch 325i View Post
If you read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_l...No_speed_limit You will see why the "reasonable & prudent" speed limit times in Montana went away. The cop could arbitrarily charge with you with going too fast. American municipalities are too concerned with making $$ of tickets, and since the whiney public won't let them do it with speed cameras, they have to put more cops out there (which thus raises their costs) all to deal with speeders....
And Montana’s fatal accident rate went UP when they instituted the hard speed limit. 54% if I recall correctly, but that might just be the multi-vehicle number.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 07:41 PM   #44
jermc68
Trogdor strikes again!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Arctic Metallic 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Crutch 325i View Post
Back to topic, in many states, they actually have statutes that say it is illegal to flash your headlights at other drivers IIRC. They can also try and charge you with obstruction of justice (remember reading about a case, don't remember the result).
Got the "obstruction of justice" ass chewing from a state trooper in Texas AND Florida all during the same year!! I wonder if there was a big push for this back in the 90's. I thought they were going to rip off my head and crap down my throat!! I was a young whipper snapper, and even though I had a junker I still got pulled over. I was courteous to them but it didn't matter.

I still flash the lights too but make sure I check ahead for other cops as best as I can. Some folks flash back and wave. Don't know if they knew what I was doing or not but haven't gotten anyone flipping me off yet.
Appreciate 0