E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Radar Detectors

07-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #23
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Everyone has their options on the RD and everyone can justify the reasons why one is better than the other. However, if you plan to drive down the road and hope the RD will avoid tickets, you are in for a big surprise. Unless you understand how RD works and what all the sources are of Radar you either will spend you entire time driving slow because you think an office is lurking somewhere or you totally ignore the RD since you can not spot the source and it becomes the kid who cried wolf.

Unless you have what is known as Situational Awareness the RD is useless. I have use one for over 15 yrs now and can tell you I never gotten a ticket having it. Why, because I am aware of what is going on around me and know when it alerts, if it some sort of roadside beacon telling you how fast you are going, an automatic door, or a real police running radar.

You have to learn when a Radar alert is out of place and does not make sense showing up and that is when you realize it is police. Yeah the V1 alerts on all radar sources, include the active cruise controls on many cars as well as many LED tail lights. Some systems filter these false alerts out. Some use GPS locations to filter and other just filter the frequency. But all the filtering can actually cause problems itself and allow you to get tagged if you not paying attention.

The V1 is basically a great RD, it works well and catches everything. It warns you long before you arrive at the Radar source giving you plenty of time to figure out if it is real or false. Not to say the others are not good, but may provide way more information than you need, some report the actually frequency which will clue you into if it real or not, and other use databases of know false sources which then requires you to keep it updated. And today there are one which connect to your phone and use the internet to track known police locations and such. But how much time do you want messing with your RD. Plus the active systems can not help you with moving radar which many police use and police hop from location to location.

You can also supplement with Waze or Trapster, but I found these to be unreliable especially in areas where people report every time they see a cop sitting at a donuts shop or do not use constantly. Plus many state now have laws which limit your ability to mess with your phone while you drive. Waze and Trapster both required you to interact with the phone as well as look at the phone while you drive and a quick glance is not enough.

Lastly, if you live in an area that uses LIDAR (Laser) a RD only tells you when you already been caught, very few times will it alert you prior to being tagged. If you are in an area that uses LIDAR, you need a jammer no ands ifs or buts about it.

My last piece of advise always have a rabbit to follow, never speed unless someone is out in front of you going as fast or faster than you. If you are the lone speeder you will get caught.

Last edited by Maestro; 07-08-2013 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #24
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
ugh, radarroy.

check out a non-biased review either by veilguy or nineC1 over on radardetectorforum.org.
I did. Plenty agreed there too.

But in the end, whatever works.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #25
E90-F30
Allen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AUDI S4 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
ugh, radarroy.

check out a non-biased review either by veilguy or nineC1 over on radardetectorforum.org.
I did. Plenty agreed there too.

But in the end, whatever works.
When you receive your HD, can you give us your personal review of it?
      07-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #26
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90-F30 View Post
When you receive your HD, can you give us your personal review of it?
Absolutely.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #27
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Had my V1 since 2009 and only 1 ticket (laser and I should have known better to speed at that place/time)

Incredibly happy with it except for the false laser warnings from the sunrise/sunset.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #28
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
1 ticket (laser and I should have known better to speed at that place/time)
Time for some jammerz.
Appreciate 0