E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > My wife earns more than I do

05-28-2014, 09:56 AM   #221
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I love my job. Wifey says I'd be crazy to ever accept a promotion because she thinks I'm happier in my current job than she's ever seen me. Mondays (or any other weekday) don't bother me any more. The extra green would be nice, but maybe she's right and I should stay put.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
^ and that, my son, is the answer to the meaning of life
True.
I like my job now. I don't complain when Monday is coming.
      05-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #222
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchRacerYo View Post
Stop changing your tune. You would have mentioned that in your original post if that was the case.

Do us all a favor and get off the road.
I didn't mention it because i didn't think it mattered. The lane i was in isn't the problem. That highway has 8 lanes, 4 on the North bound, 4 on the South bound. He had plenty of room to go around just like he was doing earlier. This guy was swerving from lane to lane but decides to tailgate when he got into the lane i was driving.

So @BenchRacerYo, I'm not the same as the people who have pissed you off on the road in the past.

I won't even bother commenting anymore because it's no longer worth my happiness in life and it's throwing this thread way off topic.
      05-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #223
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z430i & 2015 MB C300

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I love my job. Wifey says I'd be crazy to ever accept a promotion because she thinks I'm happier in my current job than she's ever seen me. Mondays (or any other weekday) don't bother me any more. The extra green would be nice, but maybe she's right and I should stay put.
I remember having “those days” at my previous job. Working in finance during tax season, and monthly closings nearly put me in the hospital. I was literally vomiting from the stress. Once in my Z4  I was putting in 12 hours days 4 days a week and having to go in on weekends. Being a salaried employee I didn’t see any financial benefits from putting in the extra hours. The only thing that would calm my nerves was alcohol. When I found myself with a bottle at 8:00am I knew I was heading towards disaster. My wife told me, I don’t need you as one of my patients and asked that I find something else. Luckily we were in a financial position where I took a couple months off and found my current position. I truly enjoy my job. My salary took a 30% pay cut. Like you stated the extra green was nice. But I have my sanity and health back.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #224
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011CrazE89 View Post
This past three day weekend felt like an eternity. I actually looked forward to going back to the office.
This does not compute for me. I like my job, but I also really enjoy my free time on the weekends for hobbies and general relaxation.
      05-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #225
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
This does not compute for me. I like my job, but I also really enjoy my free time on the weekends for hobbies and general relaxation.
Oh don't get me wrong. I love my time off. But if I have nothing planned like a vacation I would rather be at the office than working on some project in the house. When you own a home there is very little relaxation.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #226
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
True.
I like my job now. I don't complain when Monday is coming.
I used to cringe knowing I had 70 hour weeks ahead of me.

Now I go into Monday's with a smile, knowing my ass will be sitting in comfort for 8 hours, then I get to go home and have no stress on my shoulders.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #227
MFL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Is this an hourly position I.e. Overtime, nights, weekends, holidays? Again to each his own. On the one hand I respect anybody who works hard and long hours. At the same time there are some who make much more with more "brainy" type of work (pushing papers).
She's 9-5 doing Wound Care. Keep in mind, she has tenure and is unionized though. It's not uncommon for seasoned nurses to hit the 70-90 range though.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #228
MFL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post

Now I go into Monday's with a smile, knowing my ass will be sitting in comfort for 8 hours, then I get to go home and have no stress on my shoulders.
Loving my life balance. I took a slight pay cut leaving consulting, but I have so much more time on my hands now. No regrets!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 12:43 PM   #229
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFL View Post
Loving my life balance. I took a slight pay cut leaving consulting, but I have so much more time on my hands now. No regrets!
I know the feeling. The overtime checks were nice and all, but I was too tired to spend any of it at the end of the day. Being on salary now and having a normal (and much more favorable) schedule has really made life a lot more enjoyable.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #230
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Thats the life!
      05-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #231
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Oh don't get me wrong. I love my time off. But if I have nothing planned like a vacation I would rather be at the office than working on some project in the house. When you own a home there is very little relaxation.
How so? Taking care of things around the house is fun to me and relaxing. I enjoy tending the garden, the lawn, and doing little house projects.

Then again, my job is high stress and very demanding. Usually during the week when I get home I sit around and do nothing, but weekends are spent taking care of business around the house and I love it. My wife loves to help too so it's good bonding time for us since we work different shifts and sometimes don't see each other a lot during the week.
      05-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #232
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
How so? Taking care of things around the house is fun to me and relaxing. I enjoy tending the garden, the lawn, and doing little house projects.

Then again, my job is high stress and very demanding. Usually during the week when I get home I sit around and do nothing, but weekends are spent taking care of business around the house and I love it. My wife loves to help too so it's good bonding time for us since we work different shifts and sometimes don't see each other a lot during the week.
Ughh I dread house chores. Just about the only thing I would say I enjoy is pressure washing. I put on my iPod and zone out. For some reason 1500 psi blasting the driveway is therapeutic for me. We work some long hours during the week. The last thing we want to do on our time off is vacuum, yard work, scrub bathrooms, dust, clean windows, cut grass, trim hedges, etc, etc, etc, etc
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #233
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Ughh I dread house chores. Just about the only thing I would say I enjoy is pressure washing. I put on my iPod and zone out. For some reason 1500 psi blasting the driveway is therapeutic for me. We work some long hours during the week. The last thing we want to do on our time off is vacuum, yard work, scrub bathrooms, dust, clean windows, cut grass, trim hedges, etc, etc, etc, etc
I pay people to do most of that for me. Made my life much more enjoyable.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #234
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestGolfBum View Post
I pay people to do most of that for me. Made my life much more enjoyable.
I've had a couple different landscapers. But I got tired of paying these guys to hack through my cable line and Christmas lights. Also had to replace several sprinkler heads due to them running them over with their tractors.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #235
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
I've had a couple different landscapers. But I got tired of paying these guys to hack through my cable line and Christmas lights. Also had to replace several sprinkler heads due to them running them over with their tractors.
I had them ruin a sprinkler head once, one call and they fixed it with no questions asked. Actually, in every case that I have heard of around me that they fucked something up, they made it right very quickly.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 04:00 PM   #236
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
I see. I can totally understand, it's not for everyone. I've redone entire rooms in my home. My office is my next project. Going to rip out the carpet and put nice hardwood floor down. Already repainted the room.

All of that stuff is just programmed into me I guess. I was raised doing chores and helping my dad build things since we never had the money to just pay someone to do it, and I always take pride in the presentation of my house (even more so knowing I did it myself).

I guess when I have kids that are older I will have someone else to do it for me (or at least help like I helped my dad), lol.
      05-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #237
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:

I own a townhouse, so I understand about the projects. I've repainted nearly every wall and ceiling, replaced fixtures and other hardware and have installed hardwood floors. It can be time consuming, though I find it rewarding. I also live alone, so I can go at my own pace and not worry about bothering anyone which probably makes it less stressful as well.
      05-29-2014, 11:54 AM   #238
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:

When they cut you down to 70 hours, were you worried about getting laid-off? Usually it's a bad sign when you have less work to do than you used to.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #239
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
When they cut you down to 70 hours, were you worried about getting laid-off? Usually it's a bad sign when you have less work to do than you used to.
I was the youngest guy in the shop, working the most hours, Autocad prototype tools, CNC programming and setups on multiple machines. I did not have any less work.

I left that job for my current career where I now work 40 hours or less a week, and make close to the same amount when I was on 70 hours at my last job. Slight pay cut, but worth it.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #240
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Some mod cars, some attempt to control nature and fit it into tight little straight rows, seeing life sprout from the dirt.

I learned from Dad as well. I do all my own painting, tile work, and yard work. I can repair a screen, fix a sink. The stress of these works comes when the wife doesn't care if it's done right and just wants it done. I could walk you right to every paint line I didn't do exactly straight, every joint in the tile that is too wide, and know every spot where the paint is a bit thin on the wall.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #241
pwr hungry
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

For all you guys saying you're paying for your girlfriend...you're likely wasting your money. Once she's sucked your funds dry and gotten herself to a better place, she'll be on some dudes nuts that puts your paycheck to shame. I, honestly, do not know a single woman who is happily with a guy that makes significantly less than she does. Look out for yourself, women certainly do.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 03:22 PM   #242
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Yeah, some silver diggers will use some guys as a "stepping stones" for a richer guy.
Glad that I distinguished the difference at an early age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr hungry View Post
For all you guys saying you're paying for your girlfriend...you're likely wasting your money. Once she's sucked your funds dry and gotten herself to a better place, she'll be on some dudes nuts that puts your paycheck to shame. I, honestly, do not know a single woman who is happily with a guy that makes significantly less than she does. Look out for yourself, women certainly do.
Appreciate 0