E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Thunderstorms

06-19-2010, 07:27 AM   #67
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

I'm late to this thread... and it seems it might already be too far off the rails to get back on topic.

We live on the 18th floor and have an open view all the way to the merchandise mart (about 2 city blocks away).

The storm was crazy strong.. it must have ripped a hundred window screens from high-rise condo buildings. Literally.. my wife and I were looking out the window and there must have been a screen blow by every 15 seconds.

We also saw some chase lounge chairs blow off the roof of the East Bank Club pool deck.

And there was actually birds who got caught up in it you could see them trying to fly and they were just getting thrown to the ground.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #68
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

The last thunderstorm I've seen was in Feburary 2008. And that one tried to kill me - massive tornado outbreak while I was driving along the interstate, totally unaware.

That said I really miss t-storms, having lived in FL for a long time where they happen almost every day during the summer.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #69
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
I'm late to this thread... and it seems it might already be too far off the rails to get back on topic.

We live on the 18th floor and have an open view all the way to the merchandise mart (about 2 city blocks away).

The storm was crazy strong.. it must have ripped a hundred window screens from high-rise condo buildings. Literally.. my wife and I were looking out the window and there must have been a screen blow by every 15 seconds.

We also saw some chase lounge chairs blow off the roof of the East Bank Club pool deck.

And there was actually birds who got caught up in it you could see them trying to fly and they were just getting thrown to the ground.
Yea it was pretty wild...need to fix a bunch of plants today that got totally raped
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 11:43 AM   #70
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Plant rape! InB4 Dan!

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 11:19 PM   #71
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

Let's see. I've been through three hurricanes, three tropical storms, and an untold number of severe central florida thunderstorms (had a severe thunderstorm 4/5 days, it's so common down here you can practically set your watch by it). My top two scariest thunderstorm experiences:
-May 24ish of 2000 in Orlando. I was playing golf at Grand Cypress around 1:30-2:00 in the afternoon. It was hot as hell, over 100 degrees. Clear blue sky, not a puff of wind. All of the sudden the temperature dropped about 40 degrees in 10 minutes and an enormous thunderhead formed over us. It rained rediculously hard for the next hour, visibility was maybe 5'. Lightning every 5-10 seconds and close. It got windy as hell. Later I was told a small tornado touched down a couple holes over on the course!!!
-July 2006 in Northern Indiana. I was playing golf (again) at Notre Dame's course. Clear blue day, hot (again), all of the sudden I saw clouds roll in and I remember thinking "well, that's not a thunderstorm, that has to be the end of the workd. We had a good run but this is going to suck." Tornados, hail, and extreme amounts of rain ensued for the next two hours. The sort of stuff words can't really describe.

/post
      06-19-2010, 11:22 PM   #72
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

@Feyd

I'm almost positive I know which building you live in. I eat at cocopazzo (sp?) all the time as well as Gene and Georgetti's :thumbup: Thats such a great city, I need to get a place there again.
      06-19-2010, 11:23 PM   #73
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian III View Post
Plant rape! InB4 Dan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPlease View Post
Let's see. I've been through three hurricanes, three tropical storms, and an untold number of severe central florida thunderstorms (had a severe thunderstorm 4/5 days, it's so common down here you can practically set your watch by it). My top two scariest thunderstorm experiences:
-May 24ish of 2000 in Orlando. I was playing golf at Grand Cypress around 1:30-2:00 in the afternoon. It was hot as hell, over 100 degrees. Clear blue sky, not a puff of wind. All of the sudden the temperature dropped about 40 degrees in 10 minutes and an enormous thunderhead formed over us. It rained rediculously hard for the next hour, visibility was maybe 5'. Lightning every 5-10 seconds and close. It got windy as hell. Later I was told a small tornado touched down a couple holes over on the course!!!
-July 2006 in Northern Indiana. I was playing golf (again) at Notre Dame's course. Clear blue day, hot (again), all of the sudden I saw clouds roll in and I remember thinking "well, that's not a thunderstorm, that has to be the end of the workd. We had a good run but this is going to suck." Tornados, hail, and extreme amounts of rain ensued for the next two hours. The sort of stuff words can't really describe.

/post

Man! Thunderstorms seem to be out to get you when you're golfing.
      06-19-2010, 11:56 PM   #74
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in PA View Post

Man! Thunderstorms seem to be out to get you when you're golfing.
This no joke. I always get screwed by them and have to pack it on 16 or 17.

Here are clips of the one that came through my town 2 years. Pretty crazy.

This clip was about 5 miles south of me

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GfYuT0oalXQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GfYuT0oalXQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

Here it is coming about a mile south of me

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rOfB0eQVFu0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rOfB0eQVFu0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

And here is what I filmed out my back yard.

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R60unu6JJ_w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R60unu6JJ_w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

It looks further then it was. I Drove 2 blocks and north (video looking east) and 1 block east and there was a ton of debris in the road. I had to park and run (sprint) about 1/2 mile to get to my dad, where it went directly over. Then sprinted back and we went checking on friends granparents and such that lived in its path. The damn thing took a northwesterly path. Its basically a RARE thing here in CO, but we always know if we do have a chance for one like this, its going to have to be moving that way because we are close to the foothills.

Here is a pic on the radar of it.

Needless to say, thats a WELL pronounced hook.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 12:45 AM   #75
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
66 dBZ...wow...and that hail...
      06-20-2010, 02:44 AM   #76
firstkill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

its a city emergency if it rains in los angeles. Raining in summer is unheard of.

going to chicago in a few hours, hope it doesnt get too crazy this week.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 11:02 PM   #77
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
66 dBZ...wow...and that hail...
Yup, and it had one of the most pronounced anvil looks that I have ever seen in this area.

Im not kidding, since power was out and we had nothing better to do for a little while and an open field across the way, we just pulled out the golf clubs and started hitting the hail. Most had melted DOWN to that size a couple hours later, haha. 100+ homes with a ton of damage but only 1 death. Pretty much every house in town got a new roof.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #78
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackz View Post
Yup, and it had one of the most pronounced anvil looks that I have ever seen in this area.

Im not kidding, since power was out and we had nothing better to do for a little while and an open field across the way, we just pulled out the golf clubs and started hitting the hail. Most had melted DOWN to that size a couple hours later, haha. 100+ homes with a ton of damage but only 1 death. Pretty much every house in town got a new roof.

Hail golf
      06-20-2010, 11:10 PM   #79
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hail golf
Yup.

To add too, it was one of those crazy things, it started hailing probably 30 minutes before the storm was like THERE on me too. I woke up, it was 1115 am or so, I was like WTF?? I get on the computer long enough to see that there was a tornado warning out for my area and then BAM, power out. Power was a good 20 minutes before it even hit. The hail kept stopping, then starting, and I know that this a bad thing, updraft getting stronger, and as I like to say, strong updraft usually means strong downdraft = tornado possible easier.

Well, it keeps getting BIGGER, and BIGGER, I was on the phone with my dad who worked at ground zero of the destruction basically, and we were both looking for like a little rope tornado, ya know, maybe 100yards wide at the max, the thing was SOOOOO damn big though as you can see. He just goes "oh shit its right over kodak" and hung up and took cover, at that point where he was describing it was about 2 miles away from me and I just remember basically saying to myself "THATS THE TORNADO!"

First thing I did was run and grabbed the camera and starting filming it, LOL. Had no other reaction, then I went to check on my dad and from there it was just a blur of checking on lots of people. Crazy, crazy day that I will never forget.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 11:13 PM   #80
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yup.

To add too, it was one of those crazy things, it started hailing probably 30 minutes before the storm was like THERE on me too. I woke up, it was 1115 am or so, I was like WTF?? I get on the computer long enough to see that there was a tornado warning out for my area and then BAM, power out. Power was a good 20 minutes before it even hit. The hail kept stopping, then starting, and I know that this a bad thing, updraft getting stronger, and as I like to say, strong updraft usually means strong downdraft = tornado possible easier.

Well, it keeps getting BIGGER, and BIGGER, I was on the phone with my dad who worked at ground zero of the destruction basically, and we were both looking for like a little rope tornado, ya know, maybe 100yards wide at the max, the thing was SOOOOO damn big though as you can see. He just goes "oh shit its right over kodak" and hung up and took cover, at that point where he was describing it was about 2 miles away from me and I just remember basically saying to myself "THATS THE TORNADO!"

First thing I did was run and grabbed the camera and starting filming it, LOL. Had no other reaction, then I went to check on my dad and from there it was just a blur of checking on lots of people. Crazy, crazy day that I will never forget.

That's insane! Good thing you woke up when you did..
      06-20-2010, 11:17 PM   #81
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's insane! Good thing you woke up when you did..
Yea, didnt have to be to work until 4pm that day I slept in, haha. Needless to say I didnt make it work that day, and I had to stay at a friends for 4 days because we had no power. The only good thing about that was the block parties of everyone cleaning out their freezers of some GOOOD steaks, buffalo, elk and all that, haha.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 11:18 PM   #82
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yea, didnt have to be to work until 4pm that day I slept in, haha. Needless to say I didnt make it work that day, and I had to stay at a friends for 4 days because we had no power. The only good thing about that was the block parties of everyone cleaning out their freezers of some GOOOD steaks, buffalo, elk and all that, haha.

Elk steak Elk is one of my favorite kinds of meat
      06-20-2010, 11:22 PM   #83
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Elk steak? Whoa.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 11:29 PM   #84
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian III View Post
Elk steak? Whoa.
Yup. No power = cant keep the meat froze Cant ya tell from the video we are just a hick farming town? haha, not really but it kind of is.

My video actually made it to CNN, Discovery, NBC nightly news, the Today show, and weather channel. I was pretty much the only moron that decided to run to the window with the camera. I knew better then to do it and you can tell I pretty much knew I should go to the basement.

What got me down there at the end though was when I ran to the front, seeing the direction it had been moving and all, I saw a piece of debris coming over my head from the OPPOSITE direction I would have expected it to be.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php...b298734b345f7d

There are some pics. The black car is my dads. Note the rail car on its side in front of it. Thats nasty to blow over a rail car. Needless to say his car got totalled.

The hail in the pics is also fairly small, right NEAR the tornado it never really got larger then golfball, maybe a bit, but about a mile or so away it was MUCH larger.

And the pics at 1153 on a bit are the ones I took after I parked the car and was basically sprinting to my dads work.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 11:33 PM   #85
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Yup. No power = cant keep the meat froze Cant ya tell from the video we are just a hick farming town? haha, not really but it kind of is.

My video actually made it to CNN, Discovery, NBC nightly news, the Today show, and weather channel. I was pretty much the only moron that decided to run to the window with the camera. I knew better then to do it and you can tell I pretty much knew I should go to the basement.

What got me down there at the end though was when I ran to the front, seeing the direction it had been moving and all, I saw a piece of debris coming over my head from the OPPOSITE direction I would have expected it to be.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php...b298734b345f7d

There are some pics. The black car is my dads. Note the rail car on its side in front of it. Thats nasty to blow over a rail car. Needless to say his car got totalled.

The hail in the pics is also fairly small, right NEAR the tornado it never really got larger then golfball, maybe a bit, but about a mile or so away it was MUCH larger.

And the pics at 1153 on a bit are the ones I took after I parked the car and was basically sprinting to my dads work.
DAMN!!

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 07:32 AM   #86
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPlease View Post
@Feyd

I'm almost positive I know which building you live in. I eat at cocopazzo (sp?) all the time as well as Gene and Georgetti's :thumbup: Thats such a great city, I need to get a place there again.
Yeah, I live right above Gene and Georgetti on Illinois St.... Are you in the Mafia?, because it seems that is the only type of people who eat there.

Lots of shiny suites/greasy hair/fake tans/firm handshakes, and too many Ferraris outside for it not to be a mafia hangout.

Looks good/smells good... but I refuse to eat there on the principal that I cannot fucking stand the valet's they've got employed. I can't tell you how many times they've had cars double/triple parked out in the middle of the road essentially making Illinois St. a one-way. Therefore I can't make a right turn off of Franklin onto Illinois because they have completely (not slightly, but 100%) blocked off west-bound traffic flow. Wouldn't be such a big deal if it wasn't for the shiny-suited m'fers out in the middle of the road with the door wide open on their Rolls Royce giving hugs to 14-15 people before they they can get in their car and drive off. Sometimes I wish I had a shitty car (+ no inhibition) so I could just tear their door right off its hinges and keep on driving.

Apparently they are all born with the innate ability to tune out car horns too, because my rampant blaring horn doesn't even phase them as I sit through not one, but two complete cycles of the stop light before I can proceed with my right turn. *shrug*
Appreciate 0