E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Does anyone here Mountain Bike?

05-22-2009, 09:29 AM   #23
KiokenM3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: LIFTED JEEP JK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I was speaking more towards the budget end of the spectrum. I agree that there's not a huge difference in feel of my I9's and Kings, but the difference in an Alex wheelset with a non-eyeleted, single wall rim and a fair quality wheel with something like Shimano Deore hubs and a Mavic or DT rim will provide a lot more of an improvement than the difference in something like Avid BB5 brakes and Avid Elixirs or any other high end brake.
should of been more specific. your op stated that wheels should be your #1 priority. in all honesty, tires should be one of your top priorities, whether your mtn biking, road biking or racing cars. tires help the most. but i do agree with fit being most important
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #24
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiokenM3 View Post
should of been more specific. your op stated that wheels should be your #1 priority. in all honesty, tires should be one of your top priorities, whether your mtn biking, road biking or racing cars. tires help the most. but i do agree with fit being most important
I wouldn't recommend to anyone that tires should lead a purchasing decision. Tires cost $100 at most, a set of wheels can be over a grand. If I bought a Pacific with great tires, it would take a heck of a lot more to make it fun to ride than if I bought a DW-Link Turner with slicks.

I know what you're saying, that changing tires can make a big improvement (as they're the only thing touching the ground if you're doing it right), but can we at least agree that when buying a complete bike, it probably doesn't even need to be on the radar? It's easy to replace tires, but it's really hard to change the whole frame to adjust fit, and it's also hard to replace wheels when you're on a budget. I might replace
five or six set of tires in a year, but usually don't replace one set of wheels.

I still hold that when buying a bike, you'd be best off if you get the fit right, then concentrate on the most expensive component first. Getting a cheap set of wheels will be a big disappointment, as wheels that go out of true, break spokes or bend rims can get expensive to replace, and change your passion for the sport. Once you get comfortable with the bike, it's easy to replace little things that annoy you, things like the bar, brakes and tires can be an easy weekend project.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 07:29 PM   #25
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

i have a 94 specialize rockhopper (fully rigid) that i still ride, i rebuilt it in 02 w/ full LX kit

i also havea santa cruz blur LT2 that i bought a few weeks ago (R-AM kit)--its pretty sweet as well, although quite a bit heavier
      05-23-2009, 04:59 AM   #26
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
i have a 94 specialize rockhopper (fully rigid) that i still ride, i rebuilt it in 02 w/ full LX kit

i also havea santa cruz blur LT2 that i bought a few weeks ago (R-AM kit)--its pretty sweet as well, although quite a bit heavier
Santa Cruz?!?!
I will own one. One day!!

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #27
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

I have been riding for three years. 2006 Specialized Epic stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 07:15 PM   #28
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

I bought a trek 3700 (that fits me just about perfect as adjusted) for 60$. Little rust on the chain and some cables - but fully operational and even the tires are in pretty good shape. Probably intended for pretty light trails.. Im probably just planning on keeping it on road mostly.

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #29
Zeeman
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 335 SG

i have been riding for over 10 years, mainly DH, but I recently bought a RM Slayer 70 SXC which is more of a XC/All Mountain. Too be honest, I have really enjoyed getting back to riding XC/All Mountain, but I still love the DH riding. There are so many great all mounting bikes out there today. I would highly recommend the RM Slayer, but sadly the frames are not longer hand built. They've outsourced all their frame production for the 2009 model year. (I picked up one of the last hand built 08's with the powder coat finish)

I would still give strong consideration to the RM Slayer though, it is so versatile - light and can serve as a great XC bike, while still having the capability to do more demanding free ride and north shore style riding. The other comparable bikes I really like are the Trek Remedy and the Santa Cruz Nomad.

Pull the trigger and get out and ride!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 11:45 AM   #30
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep

i would agree, the santa cruz nomad is also a great bike. if you are just starting out, you cant go wrong w/ a $4-500 hardtail (trek, hardtail, specialized, etc).

i had been riding my fully rigid rockhopper since 94, and i was originally gonna go for another rigid bike (sycip, salsa ala carte, etc), but then i happened to test ride the previous model santa cruz blur LT--the suspension technology has come a long way since the mid 90s!.
      05-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #31
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep

also, keep in mind the maintenance aspect of things when you go w/ a more advanced bikes--stuff such as:
-hydraulic disc brakes need to be bled
-suspension componenents need periodic servicing (changing the oil, replacing seals, etc)
-suspension linkages - need to grease, adjust all of the pivots, axles

thats all incremental over the typical bike maintenance (shifters, truing wheels, bottom bracket, headset, etc)
      05-26-2009, 12:49 AM   #32
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

OK, so I was a mechanic/shop manager for 7 years and having been riding mountain for over 20 years. Of the two bikes you asked about, both of which I sold for several years, the Rocky is the way to go. Fantastic bikes and a great value for the money.

Your best bet is to buy used though. Checkout www.mtbr.com in the classifieds section. There are some incredible values there if you are patient. I bought a Manitou Hardtail off there with full 8 spd XTR, custom wheels, etc for $450. This is a full US built bike with Easton Elite tubing. I also sold my Rocky Mountain Element TO with full XTR for $1100 on there a while back. Like I said there are deals to be had.

Just so you don't think I am talking out of my ass, I currently have an Ellsworth Epiphany, Intense 5.5 (torn apart right now), Manitou HT, Santa Cruz V10, Pinarello Prince, and a Merlin Magia hanging in my garage.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Appreciate 0