E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Alternatives to BimmerGeeks Pro-Cable?

05-04-2024, 08:55 AM   #1
firesnatch
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Alternatives to BimmerGeeks Pro-Cable?

I want to install one of the Bimmerlabs tunes on my 328i. I have a cable that I bought a long time ago for coding, the "BMW INPA / Ediabas K+DCAN USB Interface" from one-stop-electronics for like $90 (here)

The Bimmerlabs site has all sorts of warnings about cables other then theirs bricking the DME. I suspect it is a sales tactic. Has anyone tried using the cable that I have to tune their car? I'm asking because they are out of stock, plus I don't want to drop more money on another cable when I have one already.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 05:25 PM   #2
Yngvejos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 325i, E87 118d

You can flash enhanced firmware to the cable you have.
http://blog.obdii365.com/2021/07/09/update-inpa-kdcan-cable-with-enhanced-firmware/

I just did it with my 15 year old cable. It didn't have ISP header, so I ended up soldering wires directly to the MCU.

After flashing the enhanced firmware, I was able to code Fxx cars with protool. Before the flash I got an error message about poor connection quality.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 08:29 AM   #3
Runnin'Rich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009MY E91 328Xi 6MT

My cheap cable failed a software flash update of the electric junction box. I had no communication to any modules and couldn’t drive the car for over two weeks.

I successfully updated the cable but it didn’t help. Not sure if it was the same procedure as posted above though.

Spent countless hours with four different windows computers trying to get it to flash by changing settings. I think a aged a couple of years just in the stress of it all.

Got the bimmergeeks cable. Flashed it first try! Relief!

Try flash update a unnecessary module like the sunroof module. Then go carefully from there. I was a fool you start with the junction box.

Sorry I can’t recommend an alternative cable supplier
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 01:09 PM   #4
firesnatch
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yngvejos View Post
It didn't have ISP header, so I ended up soldering wires directly to the MCU.
Thanks. The article makes sense. I ordered the board to do the flash and update my cable firmware. This is a huge help and I feel better now about using the cable. Now I need to worry about if I trust my shitty old Windows laptop with a bad battery

I ordered the 3 stage manifold for my 328i, so I'm about to do the manifold swap and 330i programming.

Also what precautions should I take before starting. Assuming I could end up bricking my DME, what should I copy off the DME before I start so that I have a chance of reprogramming a new DME? Appreciate the help.

Last edited by firesnatch; 05-10-2024 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: Figured out what ISP header is
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 01:11 PM   #5
firesnatch
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin'Rich View Post
Got the bimmergeeks cable. Flashed it first try! Relief!
Thanks for the feedback.
Appreciate 0