F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Malo industries crank seal plate/crank seal guard for N54, N55, and S55
Studio RSR

03-19-2021, 05:21 PM   #23
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
I dont get this one either, so is this for people who never look under their hood whatsoever? Like your ofhg would have to be leaking pretty bad for quite some time for this catastrophic engine failure to occur. I think some people over exaggerate how frequently that may actually happen on these cars and then someone makes a product like this that makes it seem like a must have. Be way easier to just routinely inspect your car for leaks and address issues as they pop up.
Yes preventative maintenance will be able to eliminate this issue, however it will not eliminate freak accidents that can occur. Newer m2's have snapped belts during track use and those belts ended up in the engine, and that's where this plate can come into help. It will essentially eliminate all possibilities for engine failure due to the serpentine belt failing.

Now let me ask you a question, how often do you change your belt give me a time and mileage.
      03-19-2021, 05:47 PM   #24
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Btw read the main thread if you want full a elaboration, but addressing issues as they come is how you increase your odds of getting affected, you want to preemptively maintain your car. But you will still be affected by freak accidents hence why this cheap investment is a smart idea. It's better than spending all that money else where like on exhausts and wheels, and especially intakes (which yield no gain unless you have the stock charcoal filter (bmw makes a non charcoal version that the m2 gets) and non m performance bottom)
      03-19-2021, 06:07 PM   #25
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Btw read the main thread if you want full a elaboration, but addressing issues as they come is how you increase your odds of getting affected, you want to preemptively maintain your car. But you will still be affected by freak accidents hence why this cheap investment is a smart idea. It's better than spending all that money else where like on exhausts and wheels, and especially intakes (which yield no gain unless you have the stock charcoal filter (bmw makes a non charcoal version that the m2 gets) and non m performance bottom)
Meh, the whole preventative maintenance philosophy is somewhat flawed IMO. Anything can fail on a car so with that thinking might as well just replace everything in advance lol
      03-19-2021, 06:11 PM   #26
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Quote:
Quote:
I dont get this one either, so is this for people who never look under their hood whatsoever? Like your ofhg would have to be leaking pretty bad for quite some time for this catastrophic engine failure to occur. I think some people over exaggerate how frequently that may actually happen on these cars and then someone makes a product like this that makes it seem like a must have. Be way easier to just routinely inspect your car for leaks and address issues as they pop up.
Yes preventative maintenance will be able to eliminate this issue, however it will not eliminate freak accidents that can occur. Newer m2's have snapped belts during track use and those belts ended up in the engine, and that's where this plate can come into help. It will essentially eliminate all possibilities for engine failure due to the serpentine belt failing.

Now let me ask you a question, how often do you change your belt give me a time and mileage.
I change belts on cars when they need to be changed, that is my interval. People who replace things for the sake of it on the off chance that it could potentially fail at some point in the future put way too much thought, effort and money into things.
      03-19-2021, 06:12 PM   #27
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Meh, the whole preventative maintenance philosophy is somewhat flawed IMO. Anything can fail on a car so with that thinking might as well just replace everything in advance lol
Again not true...

You only preventatively maintain things that are known to fail and cause detrimental damage, like the OFH gasket and Oil thermostat gasket, and the coolant flange. I'm not saying replace things that are not known to fail like fuel tanks, suspension components etc.

And like you said anything can fail so that is why I got this plate to ensure I am not part of the 1% statistic that got unlucky. It's so cheap so why not.
      03-19-2021, 07:28 PM   #28
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I change belts on cars when they need to be changed, that is my interval. People who replace things for the sake of it on the off chance that it could potentially fail at some point in the future put way too much thought, effort and money into things.
First off not potentially fail, it's a matter of when not if. When it comes to the ofhg and oil thermostat gasket.

Well it's why the people that care are never the ones that make failure threads complaining about why their car failed.

Don't forget these belts are reformulated so they don't crack like old belts, they wear thinner like tires. They also are supposed to be replaced every 5-6 years as per continental, that's also not listed by bmw.
      03-20-2021, 12:22 AM   #29
Alpine.N55
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
No problem! Glad I could have been helpful, post some install pics when you're done with the install!

Btw what plate did you buy and what color/finish (if the malo)?
Most definitely will! I was going to get a color but i decided to go with the natural machined finish, figured maybe a color will change tolerances.. plus it's a part that isn't seen much so color doesn't matter much to me.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzJzchMJxRE/
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 12:35 AM   #30
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine.N55 View Post
Most definitely will! I was going to get a color but i decided to go with the natural machined finish, figured maybe a color will change tolerances.. plus it's a part that isn't seen much so color doesn't matter much to me.
Yeah me too I went with the machined look because I really like it, but I think the tumbled would be the finish that matches the block the best for an ultra stealth look.

Unlikely that anodizing will change the tolerances in a way that will affect anything. But they have also tested the anodized versions as well and they fit fine.

Can't wait to see your install as well.
      03-24-2021, 11:22 AM   #31
_das_bae_
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Coupe

Quote:
While I could see it being "exaggerated" from a first hand experience of this happening to me (albeit I check under my hood) for the people who bought their car second hand especially with how cheap these cars are getting on the used market, it is possible that someone cleaned up the oil leak around the OFHG without addressing the belt, etc. This is what a dealership did to me and my belt was pulled into the crank seal. Thankfully after it happened I did not chance it and took it to a indy right away. I also ended up doing the OFHG myself since I didn't want to have to address it for a while.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 11:04 PM   #32
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

This looks nice, well thought through
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 11:06 PM   #33
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTWO View Post
This looks nice, well thought through
Yeah I really love their crank seal plates and oil caps, even their flat top cap which looks so nice.
      04-26-2021, 01:06 PM   #34
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

So I installed the Malo crank seal cover yesterday. Quality is top notch. It was a simple straight forward install. I was already replacing my serpentine belt, tensioner pulley and idler pully so all of that was out of the way. Took about 30 mins to install with the longest part getting the crank pulley back on.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 1
F87source7368.50
      04-26-2021, 01:20 PM   #35
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
So I installed the Malo crank seal cover yesterday. Quality is top notch. It was a simple straight forward install. I was already replacing my serpentine belt, tensioner pulley and idler pully so all of that was out of the way. Took about 30 mins to install with the longest part getting the crank pulley back on.
Great to hear glad you like it!

Did you get any pics and did you do the top down install?
      04-27-2021, 05:03 PM   #36
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Just one pic of it installed. I removed the under belly plate and did it from the bottom.

Quote:
Great to hear glad you like it!

Did you get any pics and did you do the top down install?
Attached Images

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 1
F87source7368.50
      04-27-2021, 05:14 PM   #37
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
Just one pic of it installed. I removed the under belly plate and did it from the bottom.
Nice very clean and looks great! I'm going to be doing it from the bottom too!

Thanks for the pictures, I will post mine when I install it on my m2.

Also will post some pictures soon of an n55 with a flush Original crank seal from the factory. For those people that don't think this is possible...
      07-02-2021, 01:29 PM   #38
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallicia View Post
My engine bay is meticulous and no leaks or gunk anywhere. My alternator was replaced, and then within the past month the s-belt has broken twice. Occam's razor meets cap greed and denial, so having to prove it's the one part that changed is causing it, well ugh. smfh.

Anyways, Got a Kies crank seal guard, and it does not fit my N55. It expects the seal to be quite recessed. And breaking the adhesive sealant to push the seal back to make it fit, or replacing the entire crank seal is just adding more salt to the wound. Especially without the tools and sealant and parts on hand for what should have been a simple quick install. So much for it fits great. It apparently is on a case by case basis, which is far from it fits great.

Nothing like going into a holiday weekend hoping for some relief from a very frustrating situation only to be further put in an even worse position.

Buyer beware. and for even more slaps in the face, nearly 24 hours and absolutely no response on the issue.
Yeah sorry to hear about that man, hope you get it addressed.

Imo I would return it and buy a flat face seal guard.

Malo gave me a 5% discount code to share with everyone in case you're interested, and no I don't make a single penny from this. The code is f87source
      11-18-2022, 04:45 PM   #39
sbatarseh
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Billet BMW N54/N55/S55/N52 Crank seal gaurd

another option now available from the U.S.: https://paradigmengineering.co/produ...ank-seal-guard
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 05:04 PM   #40
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbatarseh View Post
another option now available from the U.S.: https://paradigmengineering.co/produ...ank-seal-guard
Ok great, but you should have made your own thread...

Next I believe there are some flaws with this crank seal guard package overall that will still need to be addressed, I will not specify it because malo industries have already made the changes necessary and I don't want to aid development of a competitor. So all I can say is it has to do with clearance - and they will find out soon enough when enough people run it on enough cars.

Malo also has a wider range of color choices too - if that is something one may like. They also have a tumbled finished that matches the block itself making it completely stealth if that is a desired feature.

Edit - so if you have a malo plate, rest assured the change was made very very early into the product cycle and your plate is almost certainly fine. I also believe malo worked with any affected individuals and sent out the proper fix.

Last edited by F87source; 11-18-2022 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2024, 08:23 PM   #41
firediver
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 2011 - 35i - N55

Hi, hopefully somebody can help me out here. I installed the VVT plate, but it is slightly hitting my harmonic balancer (I'm guessing from the top part). At first it caused a little smoke, burnt smell, tiny aluminum shards and noise.

I guess the harmonic balancer quickly polished the guard as it is no longer causing all those things, but I still get the noise every here and there.

The thing is, I'm no longer confortable leaving that thing there, so I'm planning on taking it off, but I cannot find the torque spec for the original bolts. I was thinking about going with the Kies' plate torque spec of 22nm, but I'd really prefer using the real spec.

I've looked all over ISTA but couldn't figure it out, if there is anybody with the info, please share it. Thank you
Appreciate 0