E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Help with DSC Calibration - 2007 328i

12-30-2023, 12:48 PM   #1
Milney325
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Help with DSC Calibration - 2007 328i

Hi All,

I'm hoping for some help with calibrating my DSC unit after a repair. I had the common 5DF0/5DF1 error indicating that the ABS motor had stopped functioning, so I removed the module, repaired the motor, and re-installed. I then bled the brakes using the INPA bleeding routines, which all went fine. The motor and valves operated normally during the bleed procedure and the pedal is nice and firm indicating no air remains. So all good up to this point.

Upon starting the car again, the three ABS/DSC/Brake lights were still illuminated. INPA now showed that the original errors were gone, but a 5DD2 error was in its place (screenshot attached). Clearing the error did nothing - it returned immediately. Forum searches showed that this error indicated that the DSC module needed to be calibrated, so I proceeded to follow the process for that as described on many threads on this board.

I first coded the DSC module using NCSExpert to run the SC_Codieren routine. This appeared to work, as there was a "Coding Ended" message when the routine finished (screenshot attached).

Next, I completed the steering angle alignment process in Tool32 using the "lenwinkel_DSC_abgleichen" job. Again I believe this completed correctly as the results showed a "JOB_STATUS = OKAY" message (screenshot attached).

Then I went into INPA to complete the DSC calibration procedures there. However, when I tried to run the first one - "Ableich lenwinkel/Init. FG-NR", a message pops up that Google translates to "Steering angle adjustment only with steering wheel balance" (screenshot attached). I'm guessing this means that the wheel needs to be centered, which it was. Nothing else happens so I eventually used F10 to go back. None of the other calibration options seem to run correctly, presumably since this first one wasn't completed.

The Status page in INPA does show one of the steering angle sensors with an implausible number (screenshot attached), but it's not clear to me whether this is because the alignment hasn't been completed, or because that sensor actually has an issue. I did not have any codes related to the steering angle before the repair, so I'm hoping it's the former.

Can anyone help me understand what to try next? I'm really hoping that I just missed a step somewhere in the calibration process and there isn't a deeper issue, but I'm out of ideas as to what else I can try.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 12:53 PM   #2
Milney325
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Solution

For anyone who may find this thread in the future - I solved the problem by downloading ISTA (dealership diagnostic software) and running the DSC adjustment routine within that program. it completed successfully and my error lights are now gone, and ABS/DSC functions correctly.

I would highly recommend ISTA to anyone who doesn't have it. It installed easily, connected to the car without issue, is all in English, and was much more user friendly than any of the Standard Tools. I completed the above within about 10 minutes, having never seen or used the software before.
Appreciate 2
      01-02-2024, 08:36 AM   #3
4bangersketti
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 320i

Where did you download ISTA from?
Appreciate 0