E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Parking in two spots *rant*

12-31-2007, 08:12 AM   #23
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
You may end up on this website.

http://www.youparklikeanasshole.com/
That site cracks me up every time I see it!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 08:33 AM   #24
phantom330
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

Park far away from people. Parking sideways or taking up two spots is asking for trouble. I wouldn't do that unless I had an exotic car. You're just drawing attention to the car and making people mad by taking two spots
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 08:37 AM   #25
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobr2001 View Post
i also go out my way to park next to cars parked way out in left field. i know it's childish but i can't help myself. i don't do damage or dents but i do get really close sometimes. i drive a beat up car when i do this and hope people get pissed off.
WHY would you do that? They are already trying to protect their car in a non-obstructive way
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 08:49 AM   #26
Perpetrator
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

+1.....taking two spots is a no-no. There are prob more people out there that would love to f*ck around with cars parked like this, than there are people who will door ding you. Good chance that the 2 SUVs were intentional.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 09:13 AM   #27
slcsteve
Rep
Drives: '02 M3 Vert/'07 E92 335 Cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobr2001 View Post
i'll do that too. i mean park up close to someone taking up two spots. i also go out my way to park next to cars parked way out in left field. i know it's childish but i can't help myself. i don't do damage or dents but i do get really close sometimes. i drive a beat up car when i do this and hope people get pissed off.
Hopefully, you have 4 spare tires in the trunk - one day you may need them.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 10:07 AM   #28
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3-35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Here is my thought on the parking issue: Taking up two spots, or parking horizontally across spots immediately draws attention to your car. Now, I know this depends on where you live and places you go, but people generally don't like BMWs or their owners. So what you are doing is actually making them take notice of you - and saying "don't mess with my car, or park your POS near me". That makes people want to challenge you. You're lucky that so far they have only made a point by boxing you in... it's only a matter of time before someone keys your car or dents in deliberately.

My advice is to find an end spot, preferably the right end (50% chance they won't have a passenger) and hug the edge of the space. This will help protect you from door dings without putting flashing neon lights over your car that say "I think I'm special". When ends spots are not available, I try to find other high end cars that are pretty new and park near them.

There is only so much you can do - but I think your method is antagonizing, and will ultimately lead to the very type of damage (or worse) that you are trying to avoid.
+1 ... Sage advise Zep. My only variation is that I hug the curb and always expose only the passenger side. No one will ever have the chance to ding the drivers side. If the passenger side gets dinged, at least I won't have to look at until I get it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 10:10 AM   #29
zetaxi165
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 335, TiAg

Taking up 2 spots is just plain bad manners and stupid.

Stupid cos you are asking to get keyed (and in my younger days i have Keyed a few cars that parked like assholes).

What I do is park as far away as possible and/or find the end/border spots.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 10:12 AM   #30
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

You deserved it. You park like an asshole. Hope people do it more often until you stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 10:19 AM   #31
BMWGator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

Quote:
Here is my thought on the parking issue: Taking up two spots, or parking horizontally across spots immediately draws attention to your car. Now, I know this depends on where you live and places you go, but people generally don't like BMWs or their owners. So what you are doing is actually making them take notice of you - and saying "don't mess with my car, or park your POS near me". That makes people want to challenge you. You're lucky that so far they have only made a point by boxing you in... it's only a matter of time before someone keys your car or dents in deliberately.

My advice is to find an end spot, preferably the right end (50% chance they won't have a passenger) and hug the edge of the space. This will help protect you from door dings without putting flashing neon lights over your car that say "I think I'm special". When ends spots are not available, I try to find other high end cars that are pretty new and park near them.

There is only so much you can do - but I think your method is antagonizing, and will ultimately lead to the very type of damage (or worse) that you are trying to avoid.
+1

You are literally asking for trouble. Might as well put a big sign on your car saying, ''Hey, I don't want anyone touching my car, so I'm going to be obnoxious and take up 2 spaces! Don't mess with my car or else!...''

Guess what this makes people want to do?...you got it: MESS WITH YOUR CAR!

I would alter my parking strategy ASAP if I were you.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 10:27 AM   #32
Rips335iCoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
You call them idiots for parking next to you, when you are the one taking up two spots ....
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 10:28 AM   #33
Kerosene Hat
Regional Governor
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 335i

Echo what the posters who find fault with the double-parking method have to say. All that happens when I see someone double-parked like that is to get agitated...I would think this would increase your chances for damage or spite. Just park far away, esp on an end space. Low profile and good results. Don't be the guy who takes up two spaces....leave that for Vettes or Camaros...
      12-31-2007, 10:29 AM   #34
Arustik1
HYEPWR
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

Seriously tho, I do it sometimes too! I've been doing it less often after I saw an M3 a couple times with tickets on it for double parking, MA police I guess...
2001 M5 Jet Black / Black
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 10:39 AM   #35
Bimmer335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 Sparkling Graphite 335i Sed

What a jerk off!
      12-31-2007, 10:42 AM   #36
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Quote:

+1

lol!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 10:43 AM   #37
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

Ah gees not this kid again...

He's the same one that wears a hair net on his hair after a haircut so he doesn't get hair on his precious leatherette seats...

It's just a car dude, get over it...i eat in mine, bang, fart, drink, thrown up in it...relax in life a little...

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 10:51 AM   #38
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
this is how i normally park, all the way really close to the curb , its a pain in the ass with wheels with lips, and yet some fucking moron manages to do this.

Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 10:56 AM   #39
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3-35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iheLLraiseR View Post
this is how i normally park, all the way really close to the curb , its a pain in the ass with wheels with lips, and yet some fucking moron manages to do this.

I get this happening to me all the time too.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 10:58 AM   #40
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

Quote:

This is when i kick a dent in the driver's side door and/or smash the window...not because i think my car is the shit just because the other driver is stupid...

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 10:58 AM   #41
VVA330
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi

Quote:

well put!
It does not matter what kind of car you got, double parking is obnoxious.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 11:00 AM   #42
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVA330 View Post
well put!
It does not matter what kind of car you got, double parking is obnoxious.
I disagree, if it's over $200k then it's valid but I still wouldn't do it as it causes undue attention and feelings of animosity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 11:01 AM   #43
BMWGator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

Quote:

That dude parking next to you = LOSER! Just looking at that pic pisses me off.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 11:05 AM   #44
nyc3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI_agent View Post
Guys, you don't have a supercar or something. And you could get fined for using two parking spaces.
If you had a lambo or a ferrari, then it would be different.
+1, I park right between the lines, leaving space on both sides... I agree some places get away with tiny spots by marking the spaces 'compact' but you shouldn't have to take up 2 spots...

I did see a Mclaren F1 taking up 2 spots, but I can kinda understand since that's one expensive supercar.
Appreciate 0