E90Post

Motormavericks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Economist Endorses Pres. Obama

11-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Zimbabwe

Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Economist Endorses Pres. Obama

Like the title says, the magazine "The Economist" has come out with an endorsement of President Obama to have another term as president.

Economist Endorses President Obama

Hopefully this will sway some undecided voters to give their vote to President Obama. While for some others, I believe this means that they will be canceling their subscription to "The Economist".

Thoughts?
      11-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
MiddleAgedAl
First Lieutenant

Drives: M3

My thoughts ?

Obviously hardcore partisans will interpret things differently. Perhaps some pro-Obama types will read that article as a ringing endorsement, but what I got from the article was not that Obama is some superstar who is worthy of their unreserved endorsement, but rather that of the two horrible choices available, Obama is still not great, but he sucks a bit less than Romney does.

I cant help but wonder, given a pool of >300 million people to draw from, is it really that hard to find 2 people who both have the potential to be great? To get to the point where some entity like "The Economist" does not have to frame the choice as the lesser of 2 evils ?

Dont the people deserve better than that ? Perhaps that's a naive expectation. I've had the good fortune to work under some fantastic leaders, (and under some lousy ones). Without being terribly presumptuous, I think I'm accurate in suggesting that those I'd class as fantastic would have no interest at all in running for public office.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
josephr25
Major
United_States

Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
I don't think it's going to change the minds of the most dug-in Rep or Demmy. It was an endorsement on the lines of "Obama's not that great, but Romney's worse." It sure didn't change my mind.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
rohms3
Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: 2012 328i

According to former editor Bill Emmott, "the Economist's philosophy has always been liberal, not conservative."

This is almost as suprising as a Romney endorsment from Fox News.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
ideliver
Major

Drives: 08 E60 M5 & 08 Infiniti QX56

Garage List
2006 MB S430 SOLD  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smohr33 View Post
According to former editor Bill Emmott, "the Economist's philosophy has always been liberal, not conservative."

This is almost as suprising as a Romney endorsment from Fox News.
as someone who reads The Economist weekly, I would not classify them as either...

They are in support of free markets, science, and personal freedoms...

It's just too bad that our current President does not support free markets...However, Gov Romney is seen as someone not supporting science or personal freedoms and this contributed to their decision I believe
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
ZaraGSPBMW
United_States

Drives: 2011 328i Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
The Economist is a good weekly for providing a different view…especially a European view of the world. I read it regularly. They have a largely Keynesian approach to economics and thus why I suspect their endorsement of Obama. In the Keynesian world, Obama is their man. Romney, to me, isn’t Uber-Keynesian, but less than Obama. The Economist in a few issues back predicted that a second Obama term would see more ideological moderation (a move more to the center) and more working compromises with congress. I believe this is the reason they endorsed Obama. Additionally, the majority of Europeans just don’t like Romney.
Appreciate 0