E90Post
 


PYSPEED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > UPDATED: BMW Longterm Roadmap for Future Cars



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #67
Matski
Captain
 
Matski's Avatar
 
Drives: A slow BMW
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: England

Posts: 621
iTrader: (0)

Jeez people,..

... there is no crystal ball!

Products, priorities, projects, they ALL change.

If somebody came here pretending to be able to specifically name every model to be released in the next 10 years I'd call them a ******* liar.

Amongst other industries that the company I work for supply, Automotive is one... we have tooling on our shelves, bought, paid for and never used... these things can get so far sometimes, and still get changed at the last minute. The model may get shelved, or maybe just the name changed.. but things will change during the evolution of a project. Studies will be commisioned, money will be spent, but at the end of the day, something changing is never more than ONE decision away. The same is true for the way retail products are marketed, until it goes on sale, ANYTHING and EVERYTHING is subject to change..

.. just my two cents BTW
Matski is online now   England
0
Reply With Quote
      06-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #68
Harold Wood
Chopperphoto
 
Harold Wood's Avatar
 
Drives: Loadsabimmers
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK

Posts: 699
iTrader: (0)

X7

Interesting post, looking at the last vehicle 2014 the X7 I would have thought the current X5 would have been replaced about then.
Harold Wood is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2010, 07:00 PM   #69
alex2364
Captain
 
alex2364's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i M Sport
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 705
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Is the Z2 still on track for 2011? There has been no news for at least a year. There were rumors it's been canceled.

Last edited by alex2364; 08-25-2010 at 07:08 PM.
alex2364 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #70
SCOTT26
Brigadier General
 
SCOTT26's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen Dark Silver 30 Jahre
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE

Posts: 3,158
iTrader: (0)

Z2 is scheduled for 2013.
SCOTT26 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #71
Imola.ZHP
No car payments...
 
Imola.ZHP's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mud Island, TN

Posts: 1,970
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Imola.ZHP Send a message via MSN to Imola.ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to Imola.ZHP
^ sweet!
__________________

Marcus
-- 330i ZHP
-- Build Date 03/03/03
Imola.ZHP is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #72
BimmerJim
Second Lieutenant
 
BimmerJim's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Texas

Posts: 299
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Already taking order for 2012 1 series delivery in April for military sales customers For military sales customers, looking at production in November for 1Ms
BimmerJim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #73
Levi
Brigadier General
 
Levi's Avatar
 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prague

Posts: 3,292
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Z2 is scheduled for 2013.
As Coupé or Roadster? What about the 2 Series and M2?
Levi is offline   Czech_Republic
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #74
hector
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 e92 335i, 2008 128i cpe.
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: virgo supercluster bwo Pennsylvania.

Posts: 680
iTrader: (0)

last i saw just recently scott said at gcf that the z2 would come out as a single model, the roadster. seems that the coupe may have been shelved for now. too bad, had my eyes on the coupe.

Last edited by hector; 11-29-2011 at 08:03 AM.
hector is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #75
tdmallinbmw
Registered
 
Drives: 2010 BMW 3 series base audio
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

Scott, I agree with your understanding of the roadmap
tdmallinbmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #76
PUGPROUD
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 5GT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bronxville, NY

Posts: 16
iTrader: (0)

Anyone know definitively if there will be an M@ convertible ?
PUGPROUD is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #77
bimmerjph
Lieutenant Colonel
 
bimmerjph's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tennessee

Posts: 1,973
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUGPROUD
Anyone know definitively if there will be an M@ convertible ?
Nothing for sure. But I would be surprised if they didn't.
bimmerjph is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #78
aajami
Brigadier General
 
aajami's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

Posts: 4,023
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Z2 is scheduled for 2013.
Guess that didn't happen. What's the latest with the Z1, Z2, Z3, Z4, and Z5 roadmap? I remain unclear on the differences and dates for all of these rumored cars.
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
aajami is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #79
Levi
Brigadier General
 
Levi's Avatar
 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prague

Posts: 3,292
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Guess that didn't happen. What's the latest with the Z1, Z2, Z3, Z4, and Z5 roadmap? I remain unclear on the differences and dates for all of these rumored cars.
Haha, funny.

Things are quite unclear. Main reason is the shift in segments due to price change, a factor of growth.

As SCOTT said, Z1/Z2 might again be RWD. There is a time span between project begin and product sale. I don't know what is the current stand with the Z-line and Toyota cooperation. I'm not sure SCOTT knows a lot more.
I would not expect a whole line of Z cars like we are going to have X cars.

BMW-Toyota are to develop a new modular platform for sports cars. What cars are those exactly is unknown.

Lexus is working on LFA II (no BMW). Lexus is to have the production car of the LF-LC (SC?) that is to be based on new LS platform (no BMW). Toyota want a sports car below GT86, an MR2 replacement. A Supra successor is also considered and coming, desired to not be a hybrid and said to be developed without BMW.

What is BMW and Toyota's target? Especially the price? The BMW is certainly to cost more. But what car exactly? Z4 replacement above or below?

One thing that is important to consider is that the GT86/BRZ might not have any direct replacement. This partnership might be dissolved and Toyota will not have Subaru platform and engine for its GT86 successor. GT86 successor can in future only be a sports car with turbo I4. The question is with hybrid? I think this is where BMW's role comes in. But now the question is when?
Levi is offline   Czech_Republic
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2014, 07:43 PM   #80
aajami
Brigadier General
 
aajami's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

Posts: 4,023
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Haha, funny.

Things are quite unclear. Main reason is the shift in segments due to price change, a factor of growth.

As SCOTT said, Z1/Z2 might again be RWD. There is a time span between project begin and product sale. I don't know what is the current stand with the Z-line and Toyota cooperation. I'm not sure SCOTT knows a lot more.
I would not expect a whole line of Z cars like we are going to have X cars.

BMW-Toyota are to develop a new modular platform for sports cars. What cars are those exactly is unknown.

Lexus is working on LFA II (no BMW). Lexus is to have the production car of the LF-LC (SC?) that is to be based on new LS platform (no BMW). Toyota want a sports car below GT86, an MR2 replacement. A Supra successor is also considered and coming, desired to not be a hybrid and said to be developed without BMW.

What is BMW and Toyota's target? Especially the price? The BMW is certainly to cost more. But what car exactly? Z4 replacement above or below?

One thing that is important to consider is that the GT86/BRZ might not have any direct replacement. This partnership might be dissolved and Toyota will not have Subaru platform and engine for its GT86 successor. GT86 successor can in future only be a sports car with turbo I4. The question is with hybrid? I think this is where BMW's role comes in. But now the question is when?
I understand that production cycles take a long time, but we haven't seen any news on the upcoming Z cars other than the 2 or 3 vague references from Scott in the last 12-18 months. The E89 is getting long in the tooth -- its LCI already came and went with negligible changes and we haven't seen any mules for potential Z4/Z5 replacement models out testing whatsoever. No spy pics of Z1/Z2/Z3 mules, either. Are we going to go through the entire F generation without a Z car? If Scott doesn't have clarity on the potential model lineup of the upcoming Z cars, then that means that development is really falling behind.
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
aajami is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2014, 11:57 PM   #81
Mark Geoffrey
New Member
 
Drives: Blue Colour rocking car
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: United Kingdom

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

very informative post.
Mark Geoffrey is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST