E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Blower Motor/Recall on wiring

06-07-2022, 12:26 PM   #1
mehrlovin
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E90

Blower Motor/Recall on wiring

It looks like my blower motor has failed and I am wondering instead of replacing it, going in for the recall and seeing if the stealership will do it for free? Anyone have a similar experience with the dealers or do they just do the rewiring?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 03:07 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrlovin View Post
It looks like my blower motor has failed and I am wondering instead of replacing it, going in for the recall...
I presume you know how to check online (either BMW or NHTSA) to see if Blower Harness Recall has been done?
Have you tested the motor itself (two wires, B+ & Ground that attach to the "Final Resistor")?
Attached is the RCRIT for that Recall. The Procedure for performing the Recall begins on page 6 of the pdf. The Two wires going from the "Motor Connector" to the "Regulator" or Final Resistor are also shown on page 6. You would apply 12V+ to the Red Motor Wire, and Ground to the Brown Motor Wire, to test motor operation.

Odds are your blower Motor is still OK. The Recall replaces the Resistor and Wiring Harness, NOT the Blower Motor. However the RCRIT is ambiguous about "Other Components" and conditions under which they might be replaced. I would take photos of the wiring Harness Connector at the Resistor, the wiring going to the Motor, and the Motor itself BEFORE doing ANYTHING to test the Motor as described above.

You can access the motor and Connector by removing the Trim Panel beneath the Glovebox (2 T-20 Screws and perhaps another at rear along with footwell light Connector. Good Calisthenics to work in Footwell.
Let us know if you have any questions,
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf RCRIT-17V676-0612 Blower.pdf (3.14 MB, 30 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 04:55 PM   #3
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

I have also found that removing the blower motor, cleaning up the corrosion and then lubricating the moving parts. That has fixed the blower motor both times. I found corrosion both times and the blowers went from being pretty stiff to being nice and smooth by the time I was done with the lubrication.
Appreciate 0