E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How to Buy a Car out of state?

07-01-2020, 10:17 PM   #1
FernandoBMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

How to Buy a Car out of state?

Hi all, so I need help with buying a car about 16 hours away (driving) and I don't know how to go on with this? They've listed the car on multiple websites, except for Ebay Motors. Anyways, how can I safely buy a car without being there to pay cash, or check? Is it just best to buy through website (they've listed on) or contact them directly? Ps, I don't want to do a wire transfer without losing my money. Thanks (ps I'm willing to fly to their state and drive it back to mine or bad idea?)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 10:29 PM   #2
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Get a Carfax for the vehicle, which might save you a long trip.

Ask the seller to take it to a local BMW dealer for a PPI. You pay the dealer, and you get the inspection results.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2020, 07:52 AM   #3
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Safest option would be to fly there, see it in person, and drive it back.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2020, 09:37 AM   #4
bkwld
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 328i N51

Ideally you would do something like this:
1. Verify if its legitimate dealer. If private party, ask for Vin and verify with State for title, ask the seller if their driver’s license matches their tile on hand(VERY IMPORTANT) etc.
2. Hire a PPI or a friend/relative if any, do minimum a visual inspection and get report. This is also great time to pre arrange oil change and tire/alignment if required. The PPI person can also verify visually the seller and the title at this point.
3. Locate and verify if you can obtain temp plate with local DMV. If private seller, ask them if you can drive it with their license plate. Its 50/50 that most seller will let you do that but you will need temp plate. Make also sure you currently have auto insurance.
4. Negotiate and make small deposit with CC (dealer) or Paypal.
5. Fly early AM flight. Have them pick you up or Uber.
6. Pre locate where your bank is at and map it.
7. See the car. Test drive.
8. Test drive to bank. Get cashier check or cash if needed.
9. Get oil, tires or temp plate if needed.
10. Safe drive home.

Last edited by bkwld; 07-02-2020 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 09:48 AM   #5
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

I have done this multiple times because I live in the rust belt and shop exclusively in the south for used cars.

is it a dealer or private party?
are you having it shipped or going to pick it up?

title things will depend on your state. My state requires an out of state car to have the vin verified at a dealer or by law enforcement. A dealer will fill out the slip for the title office for $10.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 10:17 AM   #6
rsyed07
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 330i, E92 13' 335is

I bought my car out of state. I flew to MI on a cheap flight and stayed one night so that I had a day to deal with the car (ppi, test drive, bank transfer, etc). I then got the car shipped to FL for about $600.

A friend of mine purchased a Cayman GTS from a Porsche dealer in New Jersey all while staying in FL. Unless its a big known dealer I would not do it without going in person.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 11:56 AM   #7
jarsdad1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, 2015 X1 3.5

I would try to to find a forum member to look at the car before you invest in a flight. They also may be able to steer you to a PPI. If you buy it, check with the seller's state for transit tags to bring the car home. It is illegal and foolish for someone to give you their tags for you to travel.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 12:01 PM   #8
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsyed07 View Post
I bought my car out of state. I flew to MI on a cheap flight and stayed one night so that I had a day to deal with the car (ppi, test drive, bank transfer, etc). I then got the car shipped to FL for about $600.

A friend of mine purchased a Cayman GTS from a Porsche dealer in New Jersey all while staying in FL. Unless its a big known dealer I would not do it without going in person.
agreed
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 03:38 PM   #9
ccyccm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i M-Sport 6MT

I just bought an E90, sight unseen, through this forum and used escrow.com for peace of mind. It was great.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 04:15 PM   #10
FernandoBMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwld View Post
Ideally you would do something like this:
1. Verify if its legitimate dealer. If private party, ask for Vin and verify with State for title, ask the seller if their driver’s license matches their tile on hand(VERY IMPORTANT) etc.
2. Hire a PPI or a friend/relative if any, do minimum a visual inspection and get report. This is also great time to pre arrange oil change and tire/alignment if required. The PPI person can also verify visually the seller and the title at this point.
3. Locate and verify if you can obtain temp plate with local DMV. If private seller, ask them if you can drive it with their license plate. Its 50/50 that most seller will let you do that but you will need temp plate. Make also sure you currently have auto insurance.
4. Negotiate and make small deposit with CC (dealer) or Paypal.
5. Fly early AM flight. Have them pick you up or Uber.
6. Pre locate where your bank is at and map it.
7. See the car. Test drive.
8. Test drive to bank. Get cashier check or cash if needed.
9. Get oil, tires or temp plate if needed.
10. Safe drive home.
The car is Iowa, should I go get PPI the day I arrive and have oil change, then DMV for temp tags or only PPI, go to DMV? Since most PPI take 3-4 hours. Thanks also it's a private party
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 06:29 PM   #11
bkwld
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 328i N51

I would hire someone to look at it and give their opinion on it before you make the trip. For me PPI is more like the hidden issues such as rots, rust and damages. If this is not possible, then at least get as many facts and photos as possible. In particular underneath the car for any rots. If you’re pretty knowledgeable, then most major mechanical issues you can check during your test drive.

I don’t know Iowa’s law on plates and for me in particular, have no problems letting the buyer drive home with my tags but some people will insist they take the plates off (tolls, photo traffic tickets, etc). In WA for instance, seller’s are allowed to take the plates off after sale. As long as you both have Bill of Sales and have insurance, it should be ok. Temp plate is for instance like this.

Last edited by bkwld; 07-03-2020 at 01:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 10:00 PM   #12
Balr14
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

I verify it's a real dealer, preferably a large one. I find a shop that will do a PPI and ask the dealer to facilitate it being done. Once we agree on price, I put the money in escrow and make arrangements to have the car shipped. The dealer will help with that.

But, my favorite way to buy is Carmax. Much less fuss and hassle and a very good extended warranty for a reasonable price. Unfortunately, they don't have a big selection of cars I want.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 11:43 AM   #13
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwld View Post
I would hire someone to look at it and give their opinion on it before you make the trip. For me PPI is more like the hidden issues such as rots, rust and damages. If this is not possible, then at least get as many facts and photos as possible. In particular underneath the car for any rots. If you’re pretty knowledgeable, then most major mechanical issues you can check during your test drive.

I don’t know Iowa’s law on plates and for me in particular, have no problems letting the buyer drive home with my tags but some people will insist they take the plates off (tolls, photo traffic tickets, etc). In WA for instance, seller’s are allowed to take the plates off after sale. As long as you both have Bill of Sales and have insurance, it should be ok. Temp plate is for instance like this.
in most states you can get a temp tag with nothing more than a vin and a bill of sale.

that's what I do.

and check with the insurance company. State farm will cover a new car purchase on your policy for a week or someting like that.
Appreciate 0