07-29-2014, 10:33 AM   #50
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdM5 View Post
Seb has to be one of the most overrated drivers ever. 4 consecutive WCships? What a joke considering Alonso is only a double and Lewis only a single champ.

Hell, even Lauda, Senna and Stewart are only triple champs.
I see no logic in your comment, as they don't just hand-out WCs based on popularity. And who ever said that a driver's WC count must be proportional to their "greatness"? You're free to have whatever opinion you want about any driver, regardless of WCs.

That being said, I really dislike the knee-jerk armchair quarterbacking that's going on. For example, Kimi has always been listed in the top echelon of drivers, yet he's doing poorly as Alonso's teammate. So why isn't he being called "overrated" as with Vettel? And Alonso is regarded the top driver by many, but when he drove for McLaren alongside Hamilton, he didn't do well. So is he overrated too?

At this level of sport, there are always going to be differences among the cars, not only between teams, but also within teams. And sometimes a car's setup is more suitable to one driver than another. This year, Vettel, Hamilton, Raikkonnen and Massa have all had much worse luck with their cars than their teammates. It's not because they're bad drivers, it's just racing.
Appreciate 0