View Single Post
      08-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #109
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sprint car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
Aha, so the blues are +.001 and reds are .000. With that being the case I would only run red and red on the replacements then I would scotchbrite the back side pretty hard and call it a day should be able to get it to around .0017 like that.
I was confused by the red/blue bearing shell designations myself. For mains, BMW lists green, yellow, violet for both top and bottom (see items 02 and 04). But for rods, BMW only lists blue for top and red for bottom (see items 06 and 07). So this is a bit confusing to me.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...21&hg=11&fg=20

Here's where I'm going to have to plead ignorance and lean on the hard core engine experts. My intuition tells me that you're right about red/blue being size differences. But one of my favorite BMW shops insists that's not the case with BMW rod bearings -- that blue is always on top and red is always on bottom. So I'm still confused.

I can tell you that we've disassembled engines that had a mixture of green and yellow shells on the mains. But we've only seen blue-top and red-bottom on the rods. But that's with the caveat that I don't think we were really looking for color codes until we noticed the mixture of main bearing shells. That uncertainty was another factor in deciding to clearance the journals and stick with the blue/red combo.

Kawasaki, any chance your contact at Clevite could shed some light on this? Maybe EAS can chime in if they still have the shady1's bearings to confirm/deny them all being blue-top, red-bottom.
Appreciate 0