View Single Post
      08-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #107
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sprint car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
when you did the builds did you measure shell thickness and height on the red vs blue. What is perplexing and I have brought this up before is clevite paints those bearings, I have a entire drawer full of red blue yellow and green bearings at work that are painted in the exact fashion. The red shells are standard and the blue shells are +.001, yellow is +.0005 and green is -.001. This is clevites standard system. If that is not the case here it is baffling why they would paint the shells when there is no difference. Also if they were the same size why would there be two part numbers?
We did measure it.

Red: 0.0835" thick
Blue: 0.0839" thick

Installed clearance:
Red+Red: 0.0014"
Red+Blue: 0.0011"

Didn't measure blue+blue because it's obviously going in the wrong direction of what we needed.

Edit:
Builds notes have some calculations on them regarding journal size and rod bore size, then at the bottom conclude: "Need approx 0.0830" shell."

I remember getting a call to ask me if BMW has any thinner shells. I looked into it and couldn't find any. At that point, we made the decision to send the crank out to resize the journals.

Last edited by regular guy; 08-30-2013 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0