View Single Post
      08-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #92
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sprint car

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
If I understand correctly, following statements as per my knowledge are correct:
  1. the bearing issues are prevalent in the pre 2009 production ///3s as the mileage goes up
  2. BMW changed the bearing part# from '09 production but didn't changed the clearance
BMW changed main bearings in Oct-2008 and the part number changed along with it. But I've never seen any proof that rod bearings have ever changed as their part number has ever changed. Do you have any more information on this?

Quote:
  1. No aftermarket replacement bearings with increased clearance
  2. Permamnent solutions is to machine crankshaft
  3. Treated bearings are not a solution due to reduced clearance
Correct.
Correct.
Opinions vary.

Quote:
  1. Lack of expert companies to do a complete engine overhaul
There's a few I trust. It all depends on your willingness to ship the engine and/or car.

Quote:
I know at least one other case of engine blow up with low mileage in an '08 ///3 in our region, Australasia. This is very serious than first thought, at least in my case. I just don't know what to do.
I know a few here stateside. One bone stock with rod snapped in half, and big end of rod turned blue from heat. Pictures have never been posted of this. But it's pretty clear that the heat was caused by a bearing issue, most likely lack of lubrication.

Quote:
I don't know how a class action works. Anyone like to chime in. More I think of this now, the happiness the car gave me each time I drove it, has now changed to mortal fear. It's like a ticking time bomb
Class action is going to be per-country. Some countries may not even have this type of lawsuit category.

Quote:
Jason, would you want to do the honours for us and start a thread please on S65 engine failures - vin#, mileage, BMW's approach, owners' experience etc.? Thanking you in advance.
I've already started writing a similar article and was planning to include pictures of engines both good and bad with as much data (mileage, etc.) that I can get. I probably have a handful of pictures that haven't yet been published.
Appreciate 0