First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2011 X3 , 2000e39

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Is your CPU your only bottleneck in the tasks which make you think you need an upgrade?

The Q6600 is very friendly and OCable as far as the 775 chips go. I had two different builds with E8400 E0 stepping CPUs and those are also very friendly to OC. You need to determine first whether you can benefit from a quad core based on what you do with the computer.

Once you upgrade the proc, you will most likely be bottlenecked by other components at that point anyway, so you don't need anything killer. A 6600, 8400, or 8500 should all be fine.

What is it you use the computer for, what exactly are you trying to rectify, and what are the other components (mobo chipset, RAM size/speed/latency, etc...).
I think it's my CPU because the resource monitor says it's almost always running 100% (Is that even a good way to check?). The computer is mainly for a home office but is also our main PC. So MS office work, surfing BMW forums, and storing and reviewing pics. We don't use it for gaming or anything. We just have a TON of pics and videos that we play around with (photoshop, light video editing). Nothing near professional, simply recreational.

I want to upgrade for two main reasons,

1) to Tinker to get my feet wet with more critical computer upgrades

2) Increase its performance as it seems to be taking longer to start bigger programs while multitasking.