Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
Definitely an explanation: the GT's performance package is simply too conservatively setup compared to the SS's 1LE equipment. The only excuse Ford should have is that they haven't marketed this as a track package like the 1LE (which was aimed at the S197 BOSS).

Big differences in the package setups:

1) The GTPP is running on 255F/275R P Zeros. So they're not only smaller than the 1LE's square 285s, the compound itself simply cannot keep up with the 1LE's Eagle Supercar G2s. They just generate more mechanical grip.

2) The 1LE's spring and damper rates are simply more aggressively tuned. The GT's PP replaces the front springs with a stiffer set, but surprisingly leaves the rear untouched. The PP does have stiffer dampers and adds a brace for the strut towers and K-member underneath, and it also adds a stiffer sway bar. But they're just too conservatively rated, and you can see that in this video.

And that's the issue. Tires are a huge component for any performance vehicle, and the Mustang is running on outclassed, smaller compounds with a suspension that can't keep the body in check when riding at 10/10ths. The first three modifications any S550 GT owner should do are:

-A full set of stiffer coilovers with a stronger rear bias to get rid of some of the understeer
-Ditch the shitty P Zeros and plug on some PSSs
-Swap out the pipes starting with that restrictive crossover cat and get an additional 20+ WHP

Everything else about the car is great. The interior's in a different class. The chassis in white is 25% stiffer. There's twice as much additional safety equipment over the S197, and Randy waxed poetically about the shifter and brakes. It could use a little more power and a better tied down suspension, and the chassis can handle that for sure. It's going to be a modders dream platform.

I'll say this though: nothing (under 60k) can match the sound of those LS/LT pushrods. The 1LE is a hell of a car. I just cannot stand the looks, the fan base, the interior, and the company.
Everything you said makes 100% sense. I just don't understand why if they have such a great platform, they wouldn't set up a "performance package" to perform better than their rivals equivalent. Maybe i'm missing the point but usually the "modding potential" is not how a company likes to sell their cars.
Honestly, fuck if I know why. I can only imagine that it all has to do with the perspective of their product lineup.

The '15 GT PP will take a solid shit on a '14 GT TP, and preliminary testing (lap times at circuits we've seen thus far) show the '15 beating Boss times, but it's still behind the 1LE, which also beat the Boss pretty darn well.

So the GT PP is well ahead of its technical predecessor; it just can't oust the 1LE. An apples to apples would be the upcoming GT350.

I think we'll have the following:
-EB base (plus the redhead stepchild V6)
-GT mainstream performance
-GT350 mainstream track
-GT500 hi-po max street

Wild cards are the Mach and Boss nameplate, plus a supposed GT350R developed for the Z28.

Can't wait to see how this gen unfolds.
Appreciate 0