bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Do they? I confess to (deliberately) not knowing too well folks whom I consider snobs. I do know a few folks who are very "into" watches and to a lesser extent the science of time measurement, horology. One of them isn't keen to own a Rolex herself, but she has plenty of respect and regard for the company as well as the watches it makes. She wouldn't ever tell someone that a Rolex is a bad watch or that there's a good reason not to consider buying one.

There's no question that she feels there are other makes of watch that better display the attributes she values most in fine watches. That, however, is not her being snobbish against Rolex and its watches. It's quite simply a matter that she has limited resources, none of the watches she likes/wants are inexpensive, and so, given her strong awareness of what she prizes most in watches and what's available, when she has a tidy sum saved up to spend, she puts it toward watches other than Rolexes.

I suspect that were I to bring her a fake Rolex back from the PRC, she might get a kick out of wearing it a couple times for the aesthetics, but as I'd never give her such an item, that remains something neither of us will know for sure, at least not as far as my having anything to do it. If she becomes a multi-hundred million dollar lottery winner, I'm sure she'd buy a Rolex. In fact, I'm pretty sure she'd buy me one too.

All the best.
Yeah, I wouldn't say she's a horology snob at all. Her views on Rolex are nuanced. "Snobs" don't know the meaning of nuance. They go searching for absolutes which they can wield in conversation in an effort to bolster their ego.

To back up a second, I use the term horology snob as a derogatory title. I wouldn't say I know any personally, but I've run in to a few here and there. They're just like every other kind of jerk you can find. Most people are, by and large, good and friendly people. Occasionally, you'll find someone who is a jerk. Those people tend to populate internet watch forums in large numbers

So, I wouldn't say there's any statistically significant group within the watch community that looks down on Rolex, but you won't have much trouble finding someone who will scoff at your purchase. The group harboring this view has settled down a bit too. There was a time (just before the re-introduction of the Milgauss by my recollection), where there was a bit of a negative sentiment developing around Rolex. That sentiment would best be summarized that "Rolex is the kind of watch bought by someone with too much money and not enough insight." It's kind of the nastier side of your friend's more nuanced views. Needless to say, I'm glad the community seems to have moved beyond those views. I absolutely love my watch, and I don't give a damn if some jerk thinks I'm a fool for buying it
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0