05-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #107
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoblueE92 View Post
That's where you're wrong. If the penalty was to lose a couple positions race control would tell a driver to let two or more drivers through. The drivers are racing against a clock. So a the time/drive through just adds 20 seconds to the clock. Perfect example would be Mark Webber in Germany '09. He had a drive through but never lost a position. The penalty adds 20 seconds, because that's how much time you lose slowing down, driving through pit lane, and accelerating again. The time penalty is only tacked on if they decide after a race is over that a driver did something illegal.

While I don't agree with the Schumacher penalty 100% because of the green flag waving, he is known to break rules on a regular basis. He knew there was no passing before the finish line but tried to take advantage since the marshalls were waving green. Knowing the rules and breaking them purposely because others make a mistake is still wrong. Did anybody else in the entire field attempt a pass? No. Why am I not surprised Mercedes withdrew their appeal?

But I will say solely on the basis that the marshalls did make a mistake, they should just revert and classify everybody where they were at the start of lap 78.

And Damon Hill did not win WDC, get cheated out of a WDC (by none other than...you guessed it: Schumacher), and become president of the BRDC by being an idiot. He served on a steward board, meaning he's not the only one there. You should stop with the personal attacks and try to be more mature.

You missed my point, my point is that the 20 sec penalty is usually asessed in lieu of a drive through if the race is over like in this case...
but a drive through under normal circumstances only costs a driver a couple of grid spots... in this case because the field was bunched up behond the SC, MS ended up losing 6 grid spots... The crime does not justify the punishment, the 20 sec ended up costing him way too much and is not called for since it wasn;t entirely his fault .. they waived green flags for heaven's sake ....

As for the personal attacks, Hill was out there waiting for an opportunity to crusify MS, I am not the only one out there who thinks he's a vindictive a-hole judging by the article about all the hate mail he's been getting ...
Appreciate 0