View Single Post
      05-25-2013, 04:29 AM   #106
Faust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Vauxhall Calibra, M3 (E46)

It could have been a lot better. It's OK as a first attempt from BMW to experiment with a really big coupe (since the 8-Series times), there are obvious CS influences but in general it doesn't look too much like a BMW. This C-pillar has NO Hoffmeister kink. It's a Maserati, whatever kink. The front end, the kidney grill is OK but the headlights are not. Total mismatch. The rear, funnily enough, I find very nice. Just remove the strip that links the rear light bodies and you have an elegant rear end. Rear windows are too long and big, almost looks like a sedan with 2 doors. But I guess that's what you get at that CL-competitor class. A full sedan minus 2 doors.

The interior...it's just a 7-Series interior with EVEN more leather(as if there is not enough already in the standard model-whole cows actually!) and obviously has more attention to detail but nothing new to offer design-wise. And a hilarious steering wheel. Nothing special. For the new 7-Series interior they better take clues from the new S-Class interior.

Looks OK as a basis to work on the new 7-series but really, this new 7-Series family (with all the carbon fibre, hybrid talk, etc) better be REVOLUTIONARY and not evolutionary because the new S-Class has raised the bar significantly.

Having said that, I like the idea of a 7-Series family. Now we'll probably get a sedan, a coupe, a gran coupe, a cabrio and an SUV. It's quite a challenge to see how this is going to turn out.

But I repeat, this new 7-Series family needs/has to be REVOLUTIONARY. Nothing less will do.

Last edited by Faust; 05-25-2013 at 04:34 AM..
Appreciate 0