View Single Post
      11-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #30
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
This post and your life experience makes me love my parents just that much more. They expected me to stand on my own two feet with what they provided me or be cut off. They worked hard, saved enough to retire on comfortably, and have done everything possible (insurance, wills, modest trust accounts, etc.) to ensure they will never be a burden on me or my sister like their parents were\are to them.
My parents too. It's not like I was living up the dream with what my parents were providing me as support growing up. My parents also have saved money for retirement. In fact, I'm helping them manage their money.

While I do owe much to my parents with their emphasis on making something out of myself and some financial help, I can say 100% all that I have now has been due to my hard work which no one gave to me nor did I inherit through family riches.

I don't expect any western/fully Americanized individuals to ever understand the taking care of their parents when they're old mentality. Because what you view as a burden is what many of us of Asian background view as the socially/morally right thing to do.
Appreciate 1