View Single Post
      11-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #29
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
With all due respect, I still don't see how I'm wrong? All I've continually stated is that they will most likely have their parents move in with them when older (and that usually, parents seem to spend more on their kids when they are young). And that I'd prefer not to do this, so I don't care about these kids getting a head start.

Its great that its a responsibility and all, and I'd want to take care of my parents too, I just would prefer not to have them live with me. And whether its a responsibility or not, was not my point.
Where you're wrong is your premise about why there is this parental obligation in Asian cultures. It's not all about the money. It's not about how my parents spent all they had to the point of skirting poverty to give me a load of cash to have a capital head start on life. When I look at what my parents have provided me and the sacrifices they've endured, there are some things which I would say was given to me was a nice want but other things were just meeting up to the minimum need based on the society here. I compare myself to many middle class families growing up and I by far won't measure up even to be average. We could have easily been on public assistance but my parents were too proud to accept government aid. And you'll find many Asian immigrant families in this situation.
Appreciate 0