View Single Post
      11-24-2014, 06:45 AM   #23
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Oh, I don't disagree that they have more starting capital (if they choose to use it wisely), but I don't understand how I'm wrong? All I was stating was that these kids are going to have their parents move in when they are older (which is typical for Asian families as I understand - the kids take care of their parents when old, and vice versa, the parents spend hugely when kids are young trying to give them the best start...which may contribute to their need to move in with their kids when old as they don't have any money left?).

So not sure how I'm wrong? My point is, I'd prefer not to babysit elderly parents for years on end just to have a head start now. I'm doing ok right now (and I love my parents - I just don't think I'd want them living with me 24/7) so I don't begrudge these kids their opportunities. Focus on doing the best you can with what you have...not what others have. Otherwise you are just going to be miserable, cause there's always someone who has more.
Sorry this is incorrect on so many levels.

Speaking as a first gen of Chinese decent, the culture fosters respect towards elders and to help your parents in their old age regardless of whether they have money or not. I remember my mother ingraining in my head that if it wasn't for them, I wouldn't be alive both from the standpoint of conceiving me and supporting me.

In my situation, my parents haven't moved in with me yet. But I told my now wife before we got married that I have an obligation to provide a room for my parents to move in if the time comes. She agreed with me and understood why as she said she has a similar viewpoint; she's Polish. It's actually pretty funny that my wife sponsored her mother to come over from Poland and we've provided a room for her in our house to stay in until she gets on her feet.

Another perspective on this is my friend who is first gen from Pakistan. He helped buy the house his parents are living in now BEFORE he bought a place of his own. He got ridiculed by other Americanized/western coworkers for being a momma's boy and dumb for doing what he's doing. This is one of the reasons why he and I got along so well because we both understand this parental "duty" of ours which the typical American doesn't get.

While the culture fosters providing all you can to help your kids to grow up and be successful, I don't agree with the out right spoiling of the kids which are the focus of this thread. There's a balance.
Appreciate 1