View Single Post
      08-29-2023, 01:32 PM   #6
mcsquared
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 SSG G80 6m/t

I have used Canon camera’s for many years. They make some great mirrorless cameras, as do Nikon, Sony, Hasselblad, and Leica.

The one thing I always tell people is that it’s not just about the camera. The ‘lenses’ are what make a huge difference. Primes (24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, etc.) and zooms (wide angles, medium telephoto, etc.) can all get very expensive. The ‘kit’ lenses are usually for beginners, and will eventually just collect dust once the person learns their way. They are also ‘limiting’ in their f-stop ranges, as well as sharpness, to mention a couple of things.

Astrophotography usually requires a really wide lens with a fast (f-1.2, 1.4, 1.8) aperture to capture lots of light. Not to mention all the attachments that are needed to keep the camera moving with the Earth’s rotation. It adds up quick, and takes a lot of knowledge to get up and running with that type of photography.

Cities/architecture/everyday stuff, a decent 24-105mm zoom with at least a max aperture of f/4 should suffice. Stabilization in these types of lenses allows for slower shutter speeds, such as when shooting in a dimly lit restaurant with a nice ambiance.

B&H has a great used dept. as does Adorama, both of which are based out of NYC. If out of State, they also provide great customer service/returns/etc.

GL with your decision, and given that I’m a Canon shooter, my suggestion would be a Canon Eos R kit with the 24-105mm f4 L lens (red rings around the lenses are used to depict ‘luxury’ lenses and they are some of the best in the industry).
Appreciate 4
overcoil3078.50
DocL1939.00