View Single Post
      03-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #92
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
I think many of those things would provide a sense of accomplishment if I did well AND the kid gets a good shuffle of genes.

I only see my parents a once or twice per year- they live far away. They were the same with their parents at my age. I generally spend holidays with friends, so I'd continue to do that when I'm old. Women generally outlive men ðŸ˜

It'd be nice to have my child take care of me when I'm old, but one must also consider the burden on their lives- it should be a gift rather than an expectation. I think it's both selfish and foolish to expect your child to be your retirement plan

My grandpa is 82 and still traveling the world...skydiving, etc and as a consequence he enriches everyone's lives. People don't feel obligated to talk to him- they seek him out. That's the lifestyle I plan to live at that age
It is absolutely not a burden!! Before my Grandma passed away the ENTIRE family took a leave of absence from work, her sisters from out of state flew in, my Mom and both my Aunts, all of the grand children were by her side every single day and night the last month she was alive. We waited on her hand and foot and I would absolutely do that for my Mother when she becomes old and ill and needs me. I will not allow her to go to a nursing home where strangers take care of her.
Appreciate 0