04-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #49
zarehs27
designer
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 325i Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul View Post
Amazing. A work of art. HOWEVER after taking a long breathe I realize that this car is a dream and reality is far, far harsher. And yes I understand the difference between concept and production.

Remember when this (4 ser concept) turned into this (4ser)?? A seat Leon has led turn signals as standart and to be honest and with all due respect to 4ser owners its design looks dated allready and its bmw's dullest coup ever (certainly not as good as my 43year old E9 coup here in a Basque mountain pass)

Remember when the interior of the i8 looked like this??
Now look at this - if this 100k no extras bimmer as an interior as cheap as this (idrive from a 20k 116i plastics as cheap as a vw polo and temperature controls that look like a 80's aftermarket cd player ) I mean a 25k merc c class interior may not look as grand but certainly more upmarket and better quality

Again look at the seatbelt rest in the new 4ser convertible - very cheap plastic and the one you find in a 14 year old e46 3 ser convert. Look at the panel gap in the new x5 - that bmw airbrushed in publicity pics - or the electric seat controls in a bimmer and an audi .
This to say that bmw can not compete with the vw group in terms of cost cutting so I have serious reservations for the future of this car. It is gorgeous and it even reminds me of the E9 rear. But this is a concept and reality will be very far from this.
And I wouldnt be bothered by these issues if at least new bimmers drove as good as past greats, but again reality is most new bimmers (bar m235) can hold against direct rivals - z4 vs cayman , x3 vs macan, M5 vs E63 amg, 7 vs S8, Cayenne vs X5 etc.

Sorry about long post but had this in mind for awhile and nothing better to do this sunday

at least its just not us paying customers suffering from cost cutting. poor bmw designers dont even have a table to design
+1
You are so right about what you're saying...
I've been driving BMW's for 20 years, all coupes...I had planned to buy a 428i but I can't get past the fact that it looks and feels cheaper than a car half the price...Here, a 428 is costing 90.000$ without leather nor electric seats or leds!!...It simply isn't acceptable!
I don't understand how BMW thinks it can keep up like this when Mercedes is proposing within the same price range an interior that looks 10 times more expensive, better designed, more individual than a 3 series...when they have individual looking seats for each model...when they have different color seat belts and stitching for each line..
and we only have (m sport models) 3 interiors to select from and 4 exterior color.
The worst insult now is the X4, how would that car compete with a Porsche Macan?...the interior looks at best like a car from the 80's..
I really hope they can get their act together before suffering in sales.

PS: I'm still hoping for some better options/changes (at least blue stitching on black leather) to order my new car, ONLY to feel that it was worth the change...
Appreciate 0