Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MTA Monthly Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman
BMW USA begs to differ.

http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/M/

BMW AG still incorporates (obviously) the //M in the manufacturing and sales of their street vehicles in the form of //M-Sport and //M# (i.e., M3, M5, M6). A more detailed history can be obtained from "The BMW Experience: Passion for Performance--An insider's guide to your BMW" DVD sent to BMW owners.

Also, from Wikipedia:
You misuderstood my post. I didn't say you can't take "M" as in the word motorsport, and that's exactly what it says on BMW's site "M stands for motorsport." It doesn't say BMW M is the same entity as BMW Motorsport, and that's my point. The M we know today - BMW M GmbH was founded in 1993. Piror to that, under Motorsport GmbH, the same people who designed and built BMW race cars also engineered and hand assembled M road cars at their own facility. Since then, M cars have been engineered by people who only did road cars and built on regular assembly line. That's the real difference between M and Motorsport, and a fundamental one at that. So yes of course BMW still makes and sells M cars (and products), but the concept is totally different.

Wikipedia is written by the general public. I can go on there and re-write the definition. Here are 2 screen shots for you, from an official BMW M presentation: BMW Motorsport GmbH (race and road car) was founded in 1972, it was then re-launched as BMW M GmbH (road cars only) in 1993, and BMW Motorsport Ltd (race activities only) was launched in 1996. The operation of the two entities was internally seperated in 1995.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0