10-26-2014, 11:16 PM   #40
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
My dad works in patent law. It is indeed extremely lucrative and quite cushy, but it's highly competitive.

$300k sounds fairly low. Associates typically start out at $160k base plus bonus (and benefits), and partners make anywhere from $500k to over $1M. There's usually not much middle ground between associate-level pay and partner pay, although I suppose there are always exceptions.

The thing about patent law is that it's highly, highly recommended that you have a master's degree in engineering. My dad happens to be a PhD in EE but even he'll admit that a PhD is probably overkill.

I wouldn't recommend trying to pursue patent law with just a bachelor's in engineering. A few, really bright people may be able to cut it if they come from top ranked, prestigious engineering programs.
I have a masters of science in electrical engineering. Just contacted those that I know in the field. The more I read, the more I like. I see myself as more of a system level (big picture) type of guy as opposed to a low level tinkerer.
Appreciate 0