View Single Post
      09-30-2023, 10:17 AM   #44
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

I never 'try' to get out of anything. Most of mine were reductions in speed (which reduces the fine) and I'm happy with those. Some of my memorable ones:

1. The only time I did not receive a citation for speeding was on a crotch rocket. Lane splitting is legal in CA, but that doesn't mean motos can legally cross the double yellow of the HOV lane on the highway - this is something I typically followed the law on. So it was nighttime and I got stuck behind a couple of slow cars in the HOV. I mean we were doing 65 (speed limit), which is absurd. So when the double yellows broke, I blipped my wrist, popped around the 2 cars, and popped back in. I hit 85mph, and glanced in the mirror to see, to my surprise, a CHP had followed me in. Where did he come from?! I instantly dropped to 65 (no brakes) and he lit me up. However, the double yellows were now back. So for an agonizing 2-3 miles, I had my indicator on and cruised at exactly 64mph, lol. It felt like an eternity and I debated crossing over the double yellows, but decided against. Anyway, we pull over, and I kill switched it (so lights still on) and got my headphones and helmet off. He asked for my license, which I had in my backpack. He helped me find my wallet with his flashlight. He asked if he knew how fast I was going and I said 85, to which he slowly said "yep." When he came back from running my license, he asked if I had insurance and I said yes and was trying to show him on my phone, and he wasn't interested. Told me to stay safe, have a good night, etc. I also had a license plate that was tucked well behind my rear tire (illegal). My takeaway was that 1.) I didn't run, 2.) I was honest 3.) was licensed to operate a motorcyle 4.) bike wasn't stolen/I had no legal issues myself was more what he was interested in than the speeding.

2.) When I was 20, I had a shaved head and a catless/no front plate acura rsx in Irvine, CA. I got pulled over a lot. One time, I was going to wendy's at like 1155pm (they closed at midnight). I was not speeding or anything like that. The cop (who I saw a mile away) pulled up on me, got about halfway in front of my car, then hit the brakes and got behind me. He was pulling me over for no front plate. Lit me up and I pulled into the plaza where the wendy's was. Multiple cars arrived, and I was asked if I had a cat on the car and several other questions about what I had done to the car (it was pretty heavily modified, this was circa 2004). I was petrified about getting caught with no cat, but I stayed cool and lied and said I just had a muffler on it. They asked if they could search the car, and I obliged because 1.) I had no drugs or any bullshit like that and 2.) I did NOT want to go down the path of popping the hood. They searched me, spilled out my backpack which was in the car, and searched the car. I sat on the curb forever. They finally let me go, no ticket for front plate, nothing, but it was a pretty shitty experience. The kicker was Wendy's was now closed, and I had to go home and make ramen.

3.) Same car, town, and timeframe. I left university at midnight one night and was exhausted and headed home. Nobody on the streets. Light turned green and I rowed 1, 2, 3, which meant I hit 95mph. The speed limit on the road I was on was 60. I got popped. I was polite, honest, etc. Said I was tired and wanted to get home. The cop was very nice, wrote me a ticket for 79 and said "I'm doing this because it will be cheaper for you. You were definitely still accelerating" which with the loud exhaust, he could probably fairly guess where I landed speedwise. Thanked him and went on my way.

4.) 2 buddies and I went to vegas on an impropmtu visit. It was a one night/last minute trip and we drove. When i was time to come home, everybody was worse for wear. I volunteered to drive my friend's car. Somewhere along the way (I don't recall if it was NV or CA, but likely CA), we got pulled over by highway patrol. It was a young guy, recently married, probably 5 years older than all of us, who were in our early 20's. He pulled me over because the car's registration was expired. My friend admitted it and apologized - he was just lazy/late to take care of it. We spent 20 minutes describing to him our debaucherous night, and he was living vicariously through us. Our evening had us bringing 2 girls back to our shared suite, with my buddy who was late on registration having some fun. My friend did receive the ticket, but it was a memorable stop because it felt like us telling our story to one of our friends.
Appreciate 0