Thread: Road bikes?
View Single Post
      08-04-2010, 11:18 AM   #44
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

slightly off topic questions, because i think that road cyclists may have more experience with it.

Background:

i've been using shimano mtn spd pedals of one kind or another since 1995, and a sidi style mtn shoe as well, w/ absolutely no problems whatsoever.

then, when i bought my santa cruz about a year ago, i started riding steeper, more technical terrain, to the point where i wanted to be unclipped in certain sections. so i wanted to replace my standard spds w/ a half SPD/half platform pedal---i ended up buying a pair of Wellgo WAM-D10s. its basically a normal SPD one one side, and a flat w/ pins on the other. to go w/ this pedal, i bought a pair of 661 filter shoes--this is basically a flat skate shoe w/ room for a cleat. the flat sole grips the flat side of the pedal really well, and then the cleat will bind w/ the SPD when i need to climb.

Problem:
i've noticed that since i got the new shoe/pedal combo (it doesnt float as much as shimano SPDs, but not too much different), i've been getting knee pain. using the following article

http://www.cptips.com/knee2.htm

i figured out that the the cleat rotation was probably an issue. i rotated the cleats in the shoes, and the initial type of pain went away. however, a day or two after a ride, i still have a small amount of intermittent discomfort in my knees (either a twinge, or feeling of discomfort, slight 'burning' feeeling or slight bit of pain when they are bent for long time while driving). i have also increased the seat height, and moved the saddle back on its rails about 10mm, but not much benefit.

questions:

-is there something else i should be trying (in terms of cleat, pedal, seat combos?)
-has anyone else had knee pain after riding? was there a similar root cause?
-do the roadie "fit" sessions that i've seen advertised at bike shops address this sort of thing? i was thinking of going by a bike shop w/ my bike, and both pedal/shoe combos and seeing if there is something in my posture, leg extension that was causing an issue
-any other advice?

i've posted this on mtbr.com too, but thought i'd try to get a roadie viewpoint as well. thanks in advance