03-26-2024, 03:08 PM   #6
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nightman View Post
I know this was true at one point as I replaced my OFHG with a BMW FKM gasket that was made in Japan, but it looks like OEMs have caught up. Eg Elring 632.090 is the updated OFHG and is made of FKM. They still have the old 504.530 gasket made of HNBR in their catalogue.

Unfortunately Elring doesn't specify what their 584.950 VCG is made of, but I assume it's the original HNBR.
Oh okay interesting! Might try it out next time my OFHG is due..

But yeah for the valve cover gasket, since the Elring is listed as OE it's probably the same that it was on it. Unfortunately I don't think you can find like a much better gasket. I also got it when I did mine ~ year a go and seems good at first glance, still have a bit of pooling on the interior of the cover but I believe it's a hairline crack I need to hunt down from the plastic cover, should've just changed the valve cover back then but I didn't want to pay the 500$ for Genuine, but since then FCP started carrying a OEM Elring cover at around 250$ which I will probably try if I can't track down reason of my leak. I don't like the aluminum one as I've ironically wseen posts on Facebook groups where the alu cracked at the corners... then again it was a VTT prodcut.
Appreciate 1