09-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #22
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
I did this a couple years out of college, worked from a big six consulting firm IT discipline. Got very similar commitments for them, mine was I lived on west coast SD at the time but was willing to move to LA/Orange county and they would base me there after @ 12 months. Well 4 and half years later still travelling still based in Chicago which meant when on the bench I had to show up in Chicago. I had started a family and basically missed quite a few defining moments in my daughters life. Was a good job good compensation etc. but being away from my family killed my marriage. If you know you won't be in the same situation during the duration of time and someone you can trust takes your dog then go for it. But I will say, after 30 years in IT, 24 of it as a consultant, what firms say and do is up to the client market and situation so be prepared for things not to happen.
I have seen this type of situation with many people. This company, however, is not solely a Consulting company. I'll be working for the consulting division for the next few years at least and will position myself to move into a role with less travel. And if that doesn't "happen", its not like I've signed my soul over to them. like another member mentioned if I don't like it I can always leave. But I won't knwo unless I try.

As for the dog - both my brother and sister have offered to care for him if I take the gig. They have a house and kids and he'll be well cared for and have lots of attention.
Appreciate 0