Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
The MCT isn't as good (i.e., not as quick when responding to either upshift or downshift commands) as BMW's DCT in M Mode.

That doesn't mean it's slow or a bad transmission. The DCT is a fantastic transmission that deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Audi's DSG and Porsche's PDK.

What's impressive about the MCT is the fact that MB built it in house. Furthermore, the automatic modes (C, S, and S+) are brilliant. In S and S+, you get rev matching on downshifts and great responsiveness. The transmission's automatic modes are every bit as good as those associated with the ZF 8-speed "Sport Auto." that I had in my old F30 (and I loved that transmission).

I've found that C Mode is more comfortable/less jerky around town than the comparable/respective mode found with the DCT.

Most importantly, the MCT-equipped cars don't suffer quite as much power loss as the cars equipped with the old torque converter-equipped automatic transmissions.

They've also ripped off slightly but noticeably quicker 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times than the pre-MCT cars.

Finally, the Race Start feature made possible by the MCT is nice to have around. It's simple to use and consistent.
They are definitely not as fast as dual clutches, hell even they are not on par with the old SMG III. However, the beauty of these transmissions and the-now-standard-of-the-world ZF 8HP is the smoothness of them. I had a DCT equipped car at one point, and one of my friends had a MCT car. Compared to the MCT, the DCT just blew in town. Even though it wasn't as jerky as the old neck-snapping SMGs in my M6, it was still far from being a smooth operating unit such as the MCT (Though i find the old 7G units better than the MCT in daily use). The Getrag in my Ferrari is the most refined non torque converter AT i've ever driven, however in heavy traffics with lots of start and stop situation, you quickly become annoyed.
Appreciate 0