United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
This is hardly the first time BMW has gone out and used the M badge on a car that's not a "real" M (this is an M535i)
[IMG]http://www.automotiveinfopage.com/BM...s/stripes2.jpg[/IMG]

I was on another forum talking about this. BMW comes out with a FWD 2er Active Tourer, everyone revolts. BMW comes out with a small coupe, I6, available with 6MT and everyone freaks out over the M badge and "fake" sound. I know which one I'd be more upset about
You brought up the M535i more than once.
& this is exactly what BMW wants, for the MPAs (like the M235i) to be associated with that fine automobile.

The M535i was not just a 5er with a sport package.
It was available only with a dogleg manual transmission and was equipped with a standard LSD from the factory (not "port" or "dealer install").
Chassis and suspension components were modified, shocks made by Bilstein, wheels were BBS alloys, brake rotors had thicker and vented construction, and Recaro seats were standard equipment.
Final assembly was finished by hand at the BMW Motorsport GmbH facility in Preussenstrasse.
The car was actually quite different and special compared to the standard 535i.
Where it fell short of being a "full" Motorsport vehicle was that the motor was a M30 (BMW AG motor) and shared with the 535i.
That all changed when they took the same formula above but stuck the M1's motor into the engine bay with the first M5.

Based on the above formula, neither the M235i or the X5M / X6M are similar in philosophy or construction.
The only thing they have in common is the "M" badge whilst not being full M-cars. But understand that the M535i was developed by BMW Motorsport GmbH as a special vehicle, not as a mass production consumable.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 2