View Single Post
      01-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #30
Eddy@ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ns4n View Post
This may sound strange, but I am actually considering picking up a set of Apex Arc-8's for winter wheel duty. They are nice 18" wheels, that come in satin black at a good price.

I use the ZCP wheels for summer, with 15mm spacers in front and 12mm spacers in the rear.

Now, I would like to use a set of Arc-8's that would accommodate the spacers (so that I am not taking them on and off each year).

I know that I would also prefer more narrow wheels for winter. I think 9.5" all around is probably as wide as I could go, but I see that there are 8.5" versions for the 3-series. Do you have a recommendation for some aggressive looking fitments for the 8.5" wheel on an M3 with the spacers I mentioned above? If not, what about for the 9.5" wheel?
There's never been a paint issue with a single ARC-8 wheel to date, but as a general rule for all wheels, I would say that any satin/matte/semi-gloss wheel will be more vulnerable to the elements then a wheel with a full gloss clear coat.

To keep your winter setup narrow you'd want to use the 18x9.5" et22 rear wheel. The 18x8.5" and 18x9" wheels are high offset as they are not E9X M3 specific. If you were to use your 15mm spacers up front they would fit fine, but they would be relatively conservative aesthetically in comparison to your summer setup, as the summer setup is adding spacers to already low offsets.

But if you're focused on winter function first, and the look of the wheel is just a bonus, then that setup would be fine.