04-07-2008, 12:37 AM   #22
peazs
dub.dub
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 Honda Accord Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
So i went today at 10 AM, and I have to say, it was a blast! To boot around with those cars, and for free, can't complain! Yes, you have to listen to a bit of a sales pitch, but it wasn't too bad, and mostly informational.

I was blown away by how much a difference active steering makes. As spacedoggy pointed out, there were some s curves where with active steering, I was maybe turnin the wheel a quarter turn, but without it, to make the corners at the same speed, I'd have to do full half turns, and even then, it was hard making the turn without hitting the cones.

The steering response was so much quicker and firmer with it, the other steering felt like some big old cadillac, it was so soft.

At first, before trying it, i thought it would be a waste of money, but now, I'd say i'm totally convinced it makes a huge difference.

The only things I'm trying to figure out in my head is how often you'd use it. I think in regular city driving, how often are you going to be making super quick lane changes, or going thru little S curves like we did today to really have it play a difference vs normal?

If you auto-x a lot, I'd say it would be really great to have.

And the other downside in principle is as razor sharp the steering felt with it, I'd too be worried that I'd be getting away from the pure driving experience by getting used to it on this car and messing myself up when i drive any other car. And since I drive the wife's Mazda3 Sport all the time when we take her car, that's a real possibility!

For those who have been on the board long and read more than I, what are most people doing as far as getting it? What are their comments on it?
Ditto on the reaction after comparing a vehicle with and w/o Active Steering. Anyway, I believe BMW's purpose is to ease people's steering/driving in slow-speed situations such as parking, rather than fast lane changes or what not. It is also a safety feature in case if an accident was to occur, you and the car can react quick enough.

Also, for the comment in regards to being afraid that you may "get used to it", that's BMWs goal. For you to enjoy it and get used to it, so that you can seek it again in your next BMW (or so they want you to go up the ladder).

That's my view on this matter.
Appreciate 0