View Single Post
      04-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

BMW Canada 1 Series Event (NOT EVERY1 GETS 1T)

EDIT: Updated w/ comments. Fixed images.

I attended the BMW 1 Series promotional event put on by BMW Canada today. This nationwide promotion is going on until June 22 with multiple stops across Canada. Today was the last day in the Vancouver area. Basically, it is a 2 hour promotional event similar to the orientation given to auto journalists before they receive a BMW loaner for review. Except, now this opportunity is open to the general public via web registration.

Annoyingly, this event was marketed as "NOT EVERY1 GETS 1T". This is probably in reference to the fact that this event has only limited spots available for the public. Ironically, obtaining a spot was quite elusive since the web registration was on BMW Canada's buggy website that prevented several interested members from signing up.

I like to think "NOT EVERY1 GETS 1T" actually refers to the styling of Chris Bangle and the 1 Series. What with the wide bug eyes and drooping lines in the side skirts that from the side profile look like the car was stepped on by something heavy..."NOT EVERY1 GETS 1T". It's not exactly a beautiful car.

On second thought, maybe they should have called it "NOBODY GETS 1T".

Showed up for the 8AM session at the (relatively) new British Columbia Driving Centre by the Pitt Meadow Airport. Sign up at the small tent with refreshments and multiple LCD TVs playing clip shots from Gran Turismo 4 and BMW F1. Multiple "journalist demo" cars in the holding area. Given it was 8AM on Sunday (something that Rich and I had strategically chosen), we only had 25 people or so show up. We were then divided into three groups.

Our group was first taken into the main tent where they had a Alpine White Cabriolet and Black Saphire Metallic Cabriolet parked. We were then given a 20 minute marketing speel about dynamics, safety, 50/50 weight distribution, yada yada. Hood was opened to show off the relatively low amount of engine hanging in front of the two front suspension struts.

The Cabriolet in Black Saphire Metallic was nothing special...I was neither impressed or put off. But the Cabriolet in Alpine White was exceptionally striking in person. Every press photo I have previously seen of the 1 Series has been awful. Ugly to the point where I was thinking that I would never purchase/lease the car.

But the 1 Series in white looks great. And I'm not a huge fan of white cars (my current car is jet black). Hmmm...seems like that a lot of European cars look fantastic in white (BMW 3 Series, Audi A3, Audi A4, VW GTI).

White is easily my favourite colour for this car. And the 1 Series definately looks better in person compared to the press photos. I know that's like saying Condoleezza Rice is hotter in person compared to her photos...but...

I urge you to take a look at a 1 Series in white at your dealer before you completely decide on the looks department.
Attached Images

Last edited by spacedogg; 04-06-2008 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 0