View Single Post
      09-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #35
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
Yes, but the lesser of two evils by far.

I'd rather have a fundamentally sound economy that is has plateaued, rather than one which is growing like mad, but is not sustainable. At least, I dont want to still be around when the bubble inevitably bursts. Participating in a Ponzi scheme seems fun at the beginning, but not so much at the end.

If economic growth is fueled by ever-increasing consumption due to rising population, then there's only 1 way for it to not collapse eventually under it's own weight: if the resources needed to feed this growing demand are also capable of indefinite growth at the same exponential rate. How many natural resources can you think of that satisfy that criteria?

It took less than 12 years to go from 6 billion to 7 billion people. It took over 127 years to go from 1 billion to 2 billion. Exponentiation is fucking scary people. Our ability to accelerate the rate at which we create more consumers, vastly exceeds our ability to create more resources for them to consume.

In the wild, litter sizes of animals are observed to drop off if populations grow too high, too fast, for the resources accessible to them. Especially true if they are geographically constrained, like on an island or something.

With a few notable exceptions, nature manages the boom-bust cycle quite well.

If animals behaved like people, then litter sizes would remain at peak, until all the food was gone, then the generation who had the misfortune to be born at the end would end up all starving to death, and the entire herd on that island would be completely wiped out.
You know why that populations are growing so fast, Modern Medicine is keep people alive who would have otherwise died, we saving people from themselves and keeping mother nature from removing the weaker humans from the population pool. Even with China's one child rule they and india are the countries adding the most people to the surface of the earth. even with Duggers putting out 19 kids most of the US growth comes from people moving to the US.

Last edited by Maestro; 09-18-2014 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 0