View Single Post
      05-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #80
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

I was on a same boat. Bought a house with short sales.

Instead of re-sod, I just hack off all the dead grasses and used the seed. I did it the hard way. Thanks to the excessive days of rain that year, it was huge success. One of the DIY that I am proud of doing. Yes, I am cheap. I would rather seed the grass than a sod.

If we buy a new house w/ acre or more, we need to debate either we buy those nice riding mower (small tractor) or just hire a gardener/mower.

Biggest success to my lawn was:
-Weed-b-gone
-scotts seed
-revive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I mowed the lawn for a couple of months after I bought the house. Now I just pay someone to take care of it. He mows it every week and trims the hedges once a month. Totally worth it.

Our lawn was really bad when we moved in. I tried to fix it but no luck. Finally gave up and had to re-sod the whole front yard (which has a surprising amount of lawn). If I recall it was maybe like $500ish for the sod and we did the labor ourselves (never do that again). Anyways so far 2+ years later the grass is doing great. Unfortunately I didn't have a clue what I was doing so I never killed off the weeds before I tilled the old sod. So we still have some weeds coming through but I spray some stuff on them maybe 2-3 times a year and it seems to keep them under control.

Interestingly we only did the front yard, however the back yard was even worse. However we had maybe 20 or so left over sod blocks that I basically just placed in the back yard not knowing what to do with it. Covered maybe 15% of the yard. Anyways now the whole back yard has lawn. That stuff spread like crazy. It has a lot more weeds than the front since we never removed anything, but still looks 100x better than it did.
Appreciate 0