05-30-2014, 10:21 AM   #76
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z430i & 2015 MB C300

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I mowed the lawn for a couple of months after I bought the house. Now I just pay someone to take care of it. He mows it every week and trims the hedges once a month. Totally worth it.

Our lawn was really bad when we moved in. I tried to fix it but no luck. Finally gave up and had to re-sod the whole front yard (which has a surprising amount of lawn). If I recall it was maybe like $500ish for the sod and we did the labor ourselves (never do that again). Anyways so far 2+ years later the grass is doing great. Unfortunately I didn't have a clue what I was doing so I never killed off the weeds before I tilled the old sod. So we still have some weeds coming through but I spray some stuff on them maybe 2-3 times a year and it seems to keep them under control.

Interestingly we only did the front yard, however the back yard was even worse. However we had maybe 20 or so left over sod blocks that I basically just placed in the back yard not knowing what to do with it. Covered maybe 15% of the yard. Anyways now the whole back yard has lawn. That stuff spread like crazy. It has a lot more weeds than the front since we never removed anything, but still looks 100x better than it did.
I had Scotts lawn care come by for an evaluation. They recommended an entire re-sod. The front looks fine it’s the back yard that’s in bad shape. I have just under ¼ acre. I hate the thought of replacing all that sod only to have the raccoons have a field day with it. I catch them early in the morning and late at night digging holes looking for worms. It’s a big problem we have here in South Florida. I called animal control once and they said they were so backed up with calls they recommended me “doing what I had to do” I don’t want to hurt the little guys I just want them off my lawn. The fact that I live on a preserve doesn’t help.
Appreciate 0