View Single Post
      01-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #63
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
Again, that question is formed out of fallacy.
How exactly is it a fallacy? What is false?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
I don't have any opinion about Austrians, or Germans about their version of the constitution or their views on gun rights. I'm talking about the U.S Constitution, the "spirit" of what the 2nd amendment represents, and why this legislation is an affront to that. It should be noted however that the Jews who would have a pro-gun stance in those countries were probably turned to ashes in camps.

What I can comment on is if the citizens of 1930s Germany, 1930s Spain, and 1980s Phillipines were armed as the citizens of the U.S are today, the dictators in those countries would have had a much harder time of committing the atrocities that they ended up inflicting upon an unarmed, and defenseless populace. That I am 100% sure of.

Yes, the pro-gun Jews then would have been turned to ashes. But, with no such risk today, and the memory of what happened still fresh in their minds when they look at the tattoos they were given in the camps, why wouldnt the surviving Jews today (or Spanish, etc) advocate strongly for more gun ownership. I know you are talking about the US constitution, but doesnt it make you wonder at all why those groups are not as concerned about owning a gun, when they have more reason to be?

I dont know if you have the opportunity to talk to many non-Americans from around the world. If you do, you'd likely find that most of them dont feel "punished" by their gov when their ability to own guns is more tightly regulated. Their bad guys ignore the laws anyways of course, cause that's what bad guys do. And yet, despite the lower risk of encountering return fire, bad guys are still far less likely to shoot you in those places. I wonder why that is ?

I guess a lot of the pro-gun people dont share my curiosity for that at all, for some reason.... The only time I would completely ignore looking over my own fence at what others might be doing, even to just try and learn from them, is if I became convinced that I enjoyed an exclusive monopoly on common sense.
Appreciate 0